Predator Helios 300 High Temps and Loss of Frames

Strong
Strong Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I got this laptop back in December, its been 7 months and Im not too happy with it. I have had a huge loss of frames on and off when I play FPS games like PUBG, Rainbow 6, Fortnite, etc. Also my Temps are VERY high when I play these games. The temps are an average of 90-100. I don't know if people who also have this laptop have the same problems but this is getting ridiculous. I already sent it to Acer Repair and they said they replaced the cooling and all that but it didn't really work. I already tried undervolting the laptop but it just shuts down every single time I am on. Thats why I just put the voltage back to default. Any way to fix?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>The temps are an average of 90-100.>>>

Anything below about an actual 95°C under load is normal. Anything approaching an actual 98°C will automatically shut down the system. Frameloss may significant increase running without the charger plugged in. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Strong
    Thats what I dont like, why does it drop frames even when plugged in? it makes no sense.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    @Strong

One... this is a laptop, so expecting this to work like a desktop would not work. Plus this has a full level 1060 card that can be set to turbo... This and the CPU pull lots of power to function at high speeds generating lots of heat. Laptops can push all that heat out only to a certain extent.

Things you can do:
    1. Undervolt using ThrottleStop or similar (reduces temps by 10-15 degrees)
    2. Increase the base height of laptop on four corners so there is more space below for more air to go in.
    3. Get a small external USB fan.
    Both 2 and 3 combined reduce the temps further by about 5-10 degrees.
    4. Turn on vsync, if available, and/or set set max FPS at 60 (most screens support only 60, so anything over that isn't gonna help much). This helps reduce both heat and power usage.

These three little things got my system playing Witcher 3, Ghost Recon Wildlands and such at ultra over extended periods of time with temps aroud 60-75, with occasional spikes to 85. And no frame drops.

Also, when plugged in, on US chargers supply a max of 180 watts, while the Asia Pacific supply about 130 watts... and under full load this laptop pulls in over 200 watts...

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Strong
    What do I undervolt it to with ThrottleStop?
  • sri369
    Start at 100, and go on slowly. Mine is at 125.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Strong
    sri369 said:
    Start at 100, and go on slowly. Mine is at 125.

I did what you said, I put mine at 125. Whats weird is that the Intel GPU and CPU Cache, etc are all just set at 0

• sri369
    Strong said:
    I did what you said, I put mine at 125. Whats weird is that the Intel GPU and CPU Cache, etc are all just set at 0
    You need to set all three individually by selecting respective radio buttons - cpu, cache, gpu.

CPU Core and Cache should always have same values.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Skree
    Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    WARNING!

You put your offset to POSITIVE 125, that is dangerous, has no benefits at all, and at the very least will make your CPU even hotter if it doesn't fry it!

Watch the screen posted by the other user, to undervolt you need to putthe offset to MINUS! Go that right away, do it *now* if you are using your PC with a positive setting because that is dangerous and hazardous for your computer.

Put both cpu AND cache to -100, and be sure it says MINUS 100.

Sorry for the caps, but you are risking damaging your hardware.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Anything below about an actual sustained 95°C under load is normal. Anything approaching an actual sustained 98°C will automatically power down the unit. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ