Not sure which monitor to get.

mkostin48
mkostin48 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 14 in 2018 Archives
I am between these two below:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XZ321QU-bmijpphzx-FREESYNC-Technology/dp/B07CY1X7YL/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1531686827&sr=1-2&keywords=144hz+HDR+monitor&dpID=51zbdSo7tPL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
and
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-bmiprz-2560x1440/dp/B06ZXZ3QBD/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1531687582&sr=1-2&keywords=acer+xb271hu&dpID=41LRxNywlpL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I am not actually sure if I am missing something here. IPS vs VA, 4ms vs 1ms, 27'' vs 31.5, flat vs curved, G-sync vs freesync,WQHD vs HDR

Other than those is the XB really for $194 more than the XZ? AND the XZ is larger! Is WQHD better than HDR?

Thanks for your advice,
Mike

Answers

• VarHyid
    VarHyid Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited July 2018
    Get the XB271HU.

Reasons why you should NOT buy the curved one:

1. Curved only makes sense if it's ultrawide. A curve is not necessary for a normal 16:9 screen.

2. 31.5 inch is too big for 1440p, at 27 inch you get the best (IMO) pixel density at this resolution, any bigger than that and you'll start seeing pixels.

3. IPS is better than VA. Well, I know some people will argue for VA and they may have some good points, but once I experienced IPS, there's no going back to anything else than IPS.

4. 1ms vs. 4ms refresh rate is not perceivable by a human. I switched from a 1ms TN panel to the 4ms IPS screen and it still looks surprisingly crisp in motion and you can use ULMB if you want it to achieve almost zero blur.

5. HDR ready? No, thank you. The fact that it's HDR "ready" already sounds suspicious, it's like "HD ready" which back in the days meant 720p or 1080i at best. HDR may be awesome when done right, but we're just not there yet. Not many games are genuinely HDR ready and those that are... some may even argue that the non-HDR version looks better. One day you may want to get a real (OLED?) HDR screen, but for now, it's not an argument to choose this monitor over the other one, especially as it has all the other downsides mentioned above.