Buzzing sound coming from the Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop

BluestPolarBear
BluestPolarBear Member Posts: 3 New User
Just yesterday has this strange buzzing sound has happened. I noticed it while playing Dark Souls: Remastered when in a extensive setting like boss battles, and I have been playing on maxed out settings though the buzzing sound hasn't appeared since then even during my time using it with other games. I've took it apart to see if there was dust blocking the fans but they were clean. I've read online that it's from overheating but I doubt it, then again I am not too sure. Is there a fix for this?

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    Can you reproduce the buzzing sound? Was it random, or is there a specific scenario it appears in?

Random: ignore; could have been a temporary glitch
    Specific scenario where it is reproducible: let us know what that scenario is
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • BluestPolarBear
    its more of a quiet buzz on the left side of the laptop, like a "bzzz" where the ports are. As for a scenario, I noticed it in larger areas, and I don't know if other games count but I tried Dark Souls 3 to see if the sound would return which it did shortly after loading into the game.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    So does the "bzzz" sound happen before the fans ramp up or does it increase with fan rpms?

Fellow Dark souls fan, good man.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    check to see if that's where your laptop has fans on...
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • CaptianTwinkie
    CaptianTwinkie Member Posts: 2 New User
    Im getting the same thing dude if anyone can help it would be great. 2 days ago i got the acer predatoe helios 300 Its been working great and all the games look beautiful and runs perfect but then All of the sudden the next day iv been running fortnite max settings keep this in mind the next day a buzzing sound comes from the left side of my computer but i realise its actually the airvents under the pc and it only does that for fortnite , Overwatch and Games that rely on gpu mostly i tried v-sync everything it wont go away pls help :anguished:
  • BluestPolarBear
    Red-Sand said:
    So does the "bzzz" sound happen before the fans ramp up or does it increase with fan rpms?

Fellow Dark souls fan, good man.
    It seems to happen when the fan rpms increase during in-game

I forgot to say yesterday that the sound appears to be coming from the left speaker, even though if it is minimal. As for today, I also lessened the sound's occurrence by tweaking the fan rpms slightly from Predator Sense. 

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    I know you said you checked for dust blocking the fan but did you check where the fan blades meet the motor?
    Sometimes dust gets stuck in that groove and causes them to be unbalanced and when spinning can cause a sound.
    The sound increasing from fan rpms is a clear sign its from the fan but if your sure it's not coming from them then I'm afraid it could be a motherboard issue and might have to be sent in.
    Best to check thoroughly.
    - Hotel Hero
  • TheoreticalDzn
    TheoreticalDzn Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Same thing happening with my g5 under half load. I made a post about it. Do you have any fix yet?
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru

Hello BluestPolarBear,

I'm sorry that you're having issues with your Predator unit. Can you please send me a PM with the S/N of your unit so I can look into this for you?

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• RUDYBOYPUNTA
    RUDYBOYPUNTA Member Posts: 1 New User
    HI,
    having the same issue 
    interference noise coming out the left side ,its minimal but annoying ,it happened while playing bf5
    this notebook was bought 2 days ago
    please help 
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi all, 

What is the exact model of your Helios 300?  CaptianTwinkie RUDYBOYPUNTA TheoreticalDzn BluestPolarBear
    Has anyone tried to contact local Acer support channels to report this?

Acer-Manny 
  • bokisha
    bokisha Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, I have noise (bzzzzz) problem with my Acer Predator Helios 300, I buy my laptop 2 month ago, and now when I work something (Note++, Wordpress Development, Photoshop) I hear noise from left side. Before my laptop is very quite and I love work with quite laptops! I buy my laptop in MediaMarkt in Spain.

Where is the problem????
  • Fdg
    Fdg Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    It happens when my fan rpms  drop below 2000
  • Fdg
    Fdg Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Hi all, 

What is the exact model of your Helios 300?  CaptianTwinkie RUDYBOYPUNTA TheoreticalDzn BluestPolarBear
    Has anyone tried to contact local Acer support channels to report this?

Acer-Manny 
    So is there a solution to this?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019
    As @Acer-Manny stated has anyone already reported it to acer support through official channels ? seems no one is replying to what he asked previously that makes me conclude that no and also no one posted the exact models and specs with so many predator variants its impossible to guess

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• tranfamily35
    tranfamily35 Member Posts: 1 New User
    i have exact same issue with my G-793.  My Predator is out of warranty and acer wants to charge way too much to repair the MB.  I ended up cut off the wire to front speaker and the buzz is gone for good.  This is the last acer predator product I am going to own.
  • nirajuxd
    nirajuxd Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have the same problem. when the fans kick in around 2000rpm there's buzzing sound at the right side..it sounds like it's hitting something and when I lift the right portion the buzzing sounds little vanish. Just bought it a month ago. I didn't have a problem with 2 weeks. Can somebody help me out? This sound is so irritating.
  • AMIR_KM
    AMIR_KM Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

hi can you guys fix it? i have same problem but it happen when its on power "in the Battery there is no noise" plz help acer ph315-54

• CyberMetanoia
    CyberMetanoia Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Yo! Same buzzing noise for me. I'm not sure that everyone has the same noise as me. 

I bought my laptop 3 months ago. I do not have acer stores or something related to it in my country. Noise appeared on some random day and pisses me off everyday. 
    PH315-53-78XB. If it is a problem with motherboard on a laptop for 1700$, then Good Job Acer!