how can i overclock the cpu on my G9-793-79V5 and how high can i take it?

blake5490
blake5490 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Am trying to run final fantasy 15 but the computer crashes after a few minutes, even with the turbo feature on.this are the game specs

MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500(3.3GHz and above)/ AMD FX™-6100 (3.3GHz and above)
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 / NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 / AMD Radeon™ R9 280
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 100 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectSound® compatible sound card, Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos support
    • Additional Notes: 720p 30fps
    RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3770(3.4GHz and above)/ AMD FX™-8350(4.0 GHz and above)
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 6 GB VRAM / Radeon™ RX 480
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 100 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectSound® compatible sound card, Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos support
    • Additional Notes: 1080p 30fps

Answers

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    It's probably crashing because you have a i7-7700HQ CPU in that model Predator and those CPUs cannot be overclocked. 

If you're increasing your voltages etc you can seriously damage the chip.

I do have a "soft overclock" method you could try.

The way turbo boost works on the i7-7700HQ is that even though the speeds state 3.8ghz turbo boost clock speed... when all cores are active they all do not (by default) all run at 3.8ghz. Instead they all cap at 3.4ghz.
    The reason for the 3.8ghz spec is that if one of the cores is tasked with a high demand process and the other cores are not working to their full potential, they can "share" their power with the tasked core and boost it up to 3.8ghz in order to complete the task quickly.

Now for the trick, you can use throttlestop (theres a lot of videos on Youtube) and set its speed shift eep to "0" and it makes all CPU cores able to reach 3.6-3.8ghz simultaneously. 
    Also speed shift removes the OS control of speed step which helps govern tasks much more efficiently and it increases performance as well.

Hope that helps.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand

Here's a snapshot of firestrike benchmark running at average 3.8ghz on all cores.
    - Hotel Hero
  • blake5490

Tinkerer

How dangerous is it for the laptop?
  • blake5490

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:

Here's a snapshot of firestrike benchmark running at average 3.8ghz on all cores.
    How do i get firestrike to show me that? Sorry am very new to this hole computer thing
  • Red-Sand
    blake5490 said:
    Red-Sand said:

How do i get firestrike to show me that? Sorry am very new to this hole computer thing
    No problem.

The program I used in the pic is MSI Afterburner. Just install it and go to its settings and select the monitoring tab and disable the ones you dont want and enable the ones you want (it's a big black checkmark to enable/disable).
    You must also after checking the black check mark highlight the monitoring selection you want visible and check the "show in on screen display " check box at each of the monitoring services in the menu below.
    After all that you want to open rivatuner (which comes with msi afterburner bu default) and make sure on the top left the show on screen display option is enabled.
    - Hotel Hero
  • HK1994
    HK1994 Member Posts: 43 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Hey @Red-Sand,is this "soft OCing" dangerous for the laptop in short and long terms?
    Thanks beforehand.
  • Red-Sand
    HK1994 said:
    Hey @Red-Sand,is this "soft OCing" dangerous for the laptop in short and long terms?
    Thanks beforehand.
    Not at all.
    - Hotel Hero
  • HK1994
    @Red-Sand,when I try doing so,the ***** thing still runs at 3.4Ghz on all cores,tested with TSBench 1024MB.
    Can you explain?
  • Ellyse_Perry
    Ellyse_Perry Member Posts: 1 New User
    You must also after checking the black check mark highlight the monitoring selection you want visible and check the "show in on screen display " check box at each of the monitoring services in the menu below. techtips
    After all that you want to open rivatuner (which comes with msi afterburner bu default) and make sure on the top left the show on screen display option is enabled.

• Red-Sand
    HK1994 said:
    @Red-Sand,when I try doing so,the ***** thing still runs at 3.4Ghz on all cores,tested with TSBench 1024MB.
    Can you explain?
    TS bench does show the original clock speeds.
    You need to run a game or a benchmark to see the increase in clock speeds. (Using an on screen display to verify)

Not sure why TS does this but it does it for me as well.
    - Hotel Hero
  • HK1994
    Update:
    The test was conducted using The Witcher 3 without FPS caps.
    ThrottleStop:
    Main Menu:

FIVR:Turbo Power Limits:
    And finally,the game:

Log file is provided.
    Please have a look and check if either I am doing something wrong or there's something abnormal.
  • HK1994
    Oh and please include a video of your laptop in action at 3.8GHz all cores.
  • blake5490

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    HK1994 said:
    Can you explain?
    You need to run a game or a benchmark to see the increase in clock speeds. (Using an on screen display to verify)

can run ff15 but it crashes some times
  • Red-Sand
    HK1994 said:
    If a game doesnt require CPU clocks to be that high then obviously it wont reach it. Use a benchmark to see 3.8ghz.
    I have included a screen shot of firestrike running 3.6-3.8ghz in my previous comment.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    blake5490 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    HK1994 said:
    Can you explain?

can run ff15 but it crashes some times
    As per any undervolting setup if you have issues with undervolting then your CPU "silicon lottery" may be lesser than normal and may require a lesser undervolt to work properly.
    For example if set to -0.125 then change it to -0.124, -0.123 etc until stable. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • blake5490

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    HK1994 said:
    If a game doesnt require CPU clocks to be that high then obviously it wont reach it. Use a benchmark to see 3.8ghz.
    I have included a screen shot of firestrike running 3.6-3.8ghz in my previous comment.
    Can i use time *****?
  • Red-Sand
    blake5490 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    HK1994 said:
    Can i use time *****?
    Not sure what that is
    - Hotel Hero
  • HK1994
    edited August 2018
    Can you show me your setup of TS?
    And unlocked BIOS's setting,to clarify some stuffs.
    And I will report back maybe in the evening.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    blake5490 said:
    Am trying to run final fantasy 15 but the computer crashes after a few minutes, even with the turbo feature on.this are the game specs
      RECOMMENDED:
      • Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3770(3.4GHz and above)/ AMD FX™-8350(4.0 GHz and above)
    This does not mean the processor has to at above rated speeds 100% of time. You are looking at the issue from a wrong angle.
    I do not think the issue here is with your processor speeds. Try reducing some graphics settings so your CPU usage comes down a little, and not 90% plus all the time.

Try looking into other options.
    1. Try seeing if there is any other process in the background taking up processor.
    2. Disable overlays whatever you are using for plotting - these take CPU cycles too.
    3. Also close windows 10 task manager (unlike earlier versions, windows 10 task manager uses significant CPU cycles comparatively).
    4. Same with have Predator Sense open as application (the background service already handles all needed tasks).

Also, overclocking on a laptop is not really a viable option given the many limitations of laptops. 

To add to this:
    I have played many games including the heavy hitter Witcher 3 and very recent Ghost Recon Wildlands on my 2012 Asus RoG with an Intel i7 3-series processor at a rated speed of 2 GHz, albeit at lower settings.

My G3-572 processor is rated at only 2.8, and my power settings disallow turbo turning on soon... it is a very gradual raise to higher clock speeds but quick falls to lower, and still plays both the games on Ultra with ease.
    Also one more change I did was partitioning my windows hard disk (SSD) for windows and games, and moving the heavy hitting games to the games partition on SSD from my older HDD (5400 RPM).

I ran a few benchmarks on my laptop with my customized power plan... in them the processor never reached its max turbo speed... it was little over 2.8 steps, and still scored decent benchmark scores.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • HK1994
    I am back @Red-Sand.
    Have a look at these screenshot.Sorry for not being able to capture a screenshot while benchmarking.
    Using FireStrike and Time Spy at presets.