Unable to dual boot debian 9.4 in Nitro NP515-51 or dual boot ubuntu 16.4,18.4 with any kernel 4.9+

Options
cyber003
cyber003 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 18 in 2018 Archives
So I have Acer Nitro 5 SPIN (NP515-51) and I'm unable to dual boot debian at all. I have windows 10 in my SSD and trying to install debian on my hdd. I add the grub file of debian to efi trusted source in bios and then disable secure boot as it is required for installing debian. After installation grub doesn't load and windows directly opens and I am unable to get inside bios, I get a blank screen when trying to get inside bios. One time I was able to change the boot order of my efi drive through live cd and then when I booted, I got a system reset blank screen and then restart.

Now with ubuntu 16.4 and 18.4 after I install it, when I click on shutdown or restart, the screen just freezes and nothing happens. I updated kernel from 4.13 to 4.15 and 4.17 and yet same issue of freezing when going for reboot or shutdown and I have to forcefully shut it down then. Only when I installed kernel 4.9.0 and booted through it, the problem solves and I can operate my system normally but kernel 4.9.0 is old and will come to its end of life support soon so I don't know how to dual boot any linux os in my laptop. I have tried manjaro and few other os with kernel 4.10+ and the freezing problem exists in each. So I'm confused as to why new kernel versions are not being supported on my laptop

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>> I am unable to get inside bios, I get a blank screen when trying to get inside bios.>>>

(1) A blank screen with cursor? Or a totally black screen?
    (2) Are you sure machine is completely off when you try to access the BIOS menu?
    (3) Does the machine still boot Windows normally?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ