Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G

robertrigh
robertrigh Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Good morning,

if you have Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G (or if you have access to this device and can take these actions on it) could you share information how long it takes to load popular applications under the condition that you haven't them started in this OS run - more precisely how long it takes between telling the system to start it (e.g. double-clicking of the icon of the desktop) and having the application fully loaded (at least seemingly)? I know that there are threads concerning Acer's loading times, particulary Aspire laptops, but what I need are exactly loading times of the applications such as:

- Firefox,
- Chrome,
- VLC,
- Edge,
- WinSCP,
- LibreOffice,
- VirtualBox.

Also, could you please check if you computer has HDD disk (as opposite to SSD; if no parts were replaced it should, but just to be sure)?
On my computer the loading process for these applications takes long time (I think >10 sec) when they are loaded for the first time. Later, they start immediately, but no surprise here - it is obvious that they are already loaded to RAM and taken from there.
If you have a similar model or another model with similar hardware, the results will be also valuable, but I'd request that you explicitly write what laptop it is in such a case.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    If your fixed disk is 500GB or larger it is probably an HDD, not an SSD. If you're also trying to run the freebie 64-bit Oracle virtual machine offerings, then an SSD might help a bit. These virtuals are still buggy. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• robertrigh
    robertrigh Member Posts: 2 New User
    On my laptop it is HDD for sure, I know how to check it. I just wanted any commenters to provide information if they have HDD or SDD installed - if they use the same model of the laptop as I have and it has original parts, then it is almost sure that it is HDD, but I simply want to be extra sure.
    If you're also trying to run the freebie 64-bit Oracle virtual machine offerings, then an SSD might help a bit.
    But the problem is not specific to the VirtualBox, it concerns literally almost every application, not only these virtual machines software.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    The BIOS Info tab should provide all the fixed disk model/serial numbers needed to confirm if it's an HDD or SSD. Please post a screenshot of the Info tab if you can. If your machine was not sluggish when you first got it AND the original BIOS firmware remains unchanged, then a factory reset or refresh outside of Windows should fix the issue. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ