Headset Microphone not working, Computer not recognizing headphones when plugged in.

megaxmiltank
megaxmiltank Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Recently I have been having problems with the playback devices on my computer, it does not recognize any headphones or headsets I plug in.
However, audio comes through my headphones just fine, my computer no longer gives me the pop-up to select which playback device to use when I plug a device into the audio jack. No matter if my headphones are plugged in or not the playback device always says "speakers" (even when the audio comes through my headphones).
When using recording devices, the mic on my laptop is the only one picking up audio, my microphone on my headset is not picking up anything. I know this is not a problem with my headset because it works on my other devices just fine.
I have updated all my drivers, restored default settings for sound, and still no luck.
How is my computer not recognizing my headset but still has audio coming through the headphones? What steps should I take to fix this problem and get my computer to recognize my headset microphone?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,840 Trailblazer
    Your headset plug rings are not correctly configured for the laptop's jack. You probably have a phone headset and need a pc headset. The image below shows the various configurations. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tonza
    Tonza Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem as mentioned above. I've installed all the drivers and reset all the settings. I have a PC headset and it still doesn't detect my microphone. 
  • JackE
    Then the OMTP phone headset will probably work. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• grachinfinite
    grachinfinite Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem on my Aspire E5-475, tried all the options mentioned above, I also have a PC headset and still no luck. Anyone who can help?
  • JackE
    If both an OMTP Nokia and PC headset don't work, then your laptop jack is probably defective. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Nazir
    Nazir Member Posts: 5 New User
    Everybody's Headphone Jack cant be defective. I have been looking around the internet sir, way to many people are having issues with the Helios 500 and 300. I swear I will never buy another ACER in my life.
  • JackE
    >>>Everybody's Headphone Jack cant be defective.>>>

Agreed. Only everybody who posted with the headphone issue may or may not have a defective jack. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ