Predator G3-710 Windows 10 update

Options
Kwad_rat
Kwad_rat Member Posts: 10 New User
edited February 15 in 2018 Archives
I'm still having issues with updating Windows 10 to newest version. Right now, I'm stuck on 1607 and the update is trying very hard to complete, but it's ultimately failing each time (99% and then reverting changes). From what I know the issue at hand is connected to Intel SSD installed in the machine. Is there a chance fore some some fix in near future. Microsoft recently has announced that it will no longer support older versions of windows 10 and the system screams at me in every occasion that I need an update. 

Best Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited November 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    Ok, in one of your previous posts, you said you "formatted" the intel SSD.  I'm going to give you instructions on how to clean install vanilla Windows 10.  We'll let the Windows installer format automatically.  :)   

Step 1 

Backup any important personal files as the following steps will wipe your Intel SSD.

Step 2

On a different computer, create Windows 10 installation USB media with rufus.
    Download the Windows 10 iso from Microsoft's website using the media creation tool.
    Download Rufus
    Use the following Rufus settings to create your Windows 10 media:

UEFI (non CSM)
    FAT32
    GPT

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html

Step 3

Go in to your G3-710 BIOS settings and load the defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)

Step 4

Go back in to your BIOS settings and enable the F12 boot menu and then save/exit.

Step 5

Boot your Windows 10 USB flash drive media by tapping F12 at the Acer post logo.

Step 6

When you see the screen below, press Shift+F10 on your computer and you'll get a command prompt

Step 7

At the command prompt, type

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x    (x=your Intel SSD that you want to wipe clean)
    clean
    convert gpt
    exit
    exit

Step 8

Press and hold your computer's power button until your computer shuts off

Step 9

Turn on your computer and install Windows 10
    Select Custom Installation
    Click on the drive where you want to install Windows (your Intel SSD)
    And then click "Next"....and the Windows installer will automatically partition and automatically format your Intel SSD and automatically install Windows 10 on it.

If you still have problems, please contact Acer and ask them for your "factory recovery media".

Note: On both of my Intel SSDs, I updated the firmware using the toolbox.  This should fix the bug that Microsoft was referring to.  However, Microsoft also updated the iso to fix the bug.  But still, I would recommend updating your Intel SSD firmware using the Intel toolbox.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28309/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Kwad_rat
    Options
    It's done. Everything is working now. At least I think it works. The problem was probably the issue with the first Windows installation made with original faulty BIOS that had problems with some SSD settings and caused it to not be read properly at points (and not booting windows). This had to made some errors when windows was installed and caused incomplete installation that made updates impossible. Whatever was the problem, now it's gone and everything is working fine. So if you have this computer as a new stock, try to update BIOS before installing windows if it's possible.

Answers

• JordanB
    Options
    Step1:   Check to see if you need a BIOS update.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

If you currently have BIOS R02-xx then update BIOS to R02-B1
    If you currently have BIOS R01-xx then update BIOS to R01-A4

Download and extract/unzip the correct BIOS and follow the WinFlashSOP instructions in the Appendix folder.

To find your current BIOS version, type msinfo32 in the Windows search bar and select System Information

Step2:  Click on link below and use the Update Assistant by clicking Update Now

Step3:  Update firmware on your Intel SSD if necessary by using the Toolbox

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27656/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox
  • Kwad_rat
    Options
    Still have the same problem. The update goes to 99% then it's undoing changes. The update is not possible.
  • JordanB
    Options
    You can backup your important personal files and try resetting your PC.  

You could try to contact Microsoft and have them help you.  Several people on this forum have contacted Microsoft to help them update their PC. 
  • JordanB
    Options
  • Kwad_rat
    Options
    I was consulting the case with Microsoft (for a couple of days). They said that Acer knows the issue. I'll have to call to Acer support on this one.
  • Kwad_rat
    Options
    I still have problem with windows and now it's even worse. I couldn't update system to the newest version, so after chatting with windows support they got to conclusion, that the only option is formatting my system and making a clean install. After that I got error while system instalation was in progress and now I'm stuck. I'm unable to complete the windows installation and I have no way of going back to the old system. 
  • Kwad_rat
    Options
    Also, I tried update to a newer version of BIOS, but USB doesn't seem to be working right. I feel that instructions for EFI version of bios update don't have the right file structure. I remember updating from USB, but I don't remember what I did, that worked. Any help?
  • JordanB
    Options
    Ok, I think you'll have to get your recovery media from Acer to reset Windows to factory settings.  After you get Windows running, you can update the BIOS using the Windows method instead of the EFI method.

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• Kwad_rat
    Options
    I have almost the newest version of bios (version R02-B1). So I suspect that this wasn't causing windows installation problems.  But I wanted to try anyway. The problem with EFI method of installing BIOS is that I know it works, but instructions provided in zip file are not complete. I remember making it work somehow (I was able to make it work twice in the past). What I lack is information what files should be in what folder when I create bootable pen drive, to make it visible in BIOS (it sees windows instalation drive).
  • JordanB
    Options
    Ok, in one of your previous posts, you said you "formatted" the intel SSD.  I'm going to give you instructions on how to clean install vanilla Windows 10.  We'll let the Windows installer format automatically.  :)   

Step 1 

Backup any important personal files as the following steps will wipe your Intel SSD.

Step 2

On a different computer, create Windows 10 installation USB media with rufus.
    Download the Windows 10 iso from Microsoft's website using the media creation tool.
    Download Rufus
    Use the following Rufus settings to create your Windows 10 media:

UEFI (non CSM)
    FAT32
    GPT

https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html

Step 3

Go in to your G3-710 BIOS settings and load the defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)

Step 4

Go back in to your BIOS settings and enable the F12 boot menu and then save/exit.

Step 5

Boot your Windows 10 USB flash drive media by tapping F12 at the Acer post logo.

Step 6

When you see the screen below, press Shift+F10 on your computer and you'll get a command prompt

Step 7

At the command prompt, type

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x    (x=your Intel SSD that you want to wipe clean)
    clean
    convert gpt
    exit
    exit

Step 8

Press and hold your computer's power button until your computer shuts off

Step 9

Turn on your computer and install Windows 10
    Select Custom Installation
    Click on the drive where you want to install Windows (your Intel SSD)
    And then click "Next"....and the Windows installer will automatically partition and automatically format your Intel SSD and automatically install Windows 10 on it.

If you still have problems, please contact Acer and ask them for your "factory recovery media".

Note: On both of my Intel SSDs, I updated the firmware using the toolbox.  This should fix the bug that Microsoft was referring to.  However, Microsoft also updated the iso to fix the bug.  But still, I would recommend updating your Intel SSD firmware using the Intel toolbox.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28309/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox

• Kwad_rat
    Options
    Thanks. I'll try this method tomorrow. I have problem installing Windows, but at least I know that this issue is somehow connected to the problems with windows update. It's either a problem with SSD or, something connected to BIOS settings. If nothing helps I'll have to chat with acer support. I'm fighting Windows update issues for couple of months now and still don't know whats causing  it.
  • Kwad_rat
    Options
    I'm further than I ever got. :) It seems to be going somewhere. Thank you.
  • Kwad_rat
    Options
    It's done. Everything is working now. At least I think it works. The problem was probably the issue with the first Windows installation made with original faulty BIOS that had problems with some SSD settings and caused it to not be read properly at points (and not booting windows). This had to made some errors when windows was installed and caused incomplete installation that made updates impossible. Whatever was the problem, now it's gone and everything is working fine. So if you have this computer as a new stock, try to update BIOS before installing windows if it's possible.