My Predator G3-571 is having what I can only guess are serious graphics card issues

Options
ralxyr
ralxyr Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
So for a few months, maybe 2 or 3, I haven't been able to adjust the screen brightness on my laptop (SN:NHQ28AA00173707F973400).  While this was annoying, I didn't really pay it any mind.  But as of the start of June, I noticed that a lot of games weren't running well at all, even though they used to in the past.  Final Fantasy XV, Overwatch, and a few other things were incredibly slow and choppy to the point of being unplayable on the lowest settings, while I used to be able to run them at mid to high settings.  I thought the issues might be related, and so I tried updating my graphics drivers, deleting them and doing clean installs, checking registry errors, nothing.  I'd occasionally get the error that "Nvidia display settings are not available" so I tried to make sure everything was alright in the Nvidia Control Panel, and that's when I realized that for whatever reason my computer didn't have the Nvidia Control Panel either.  I've done multiple scans for any malware on my drives without finding anything, done clean installs of Windows on my C drive, and updated my BIOS with none of it helping.  I'm working on backing everything important off of my other drive so that I can do a system wide clean reinstall, but I wanted to ask if anyone else might know of a solution.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    You mention that nvidia control panel is not available, does it show any kind of error when you try to install the nvidia driver? Are you able to access nvidia control panel now? The reason why the gaming performance is low is because the games are running with the Intel HD graphics.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ralxyr
    Options
    I have no issues installing the nvidia drivers, it always installs fine and appears in Device Manager and Geforce Experience as installed with no errors.  I've no idea why it the nvidia graphics card doesn't run instead of the onboard Intel graphics.
  • ven98
    Options
    You should go to nvidia control panel and choose high performance nvidia as preferred graphics processor.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ralxyr
    Options
    Whoops, forgot to mention that the Nvidia Control Panel is still not working even with reinstalled graphics drivers.  I get this error message:
  • ralxyr
    Options
    I was able to solve the issue with a little help. Using the tool found here: http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,20.html   I cleaned my drivers again, and reinstalled the Intel driver from the support page for my laptop, then reinstalled the Nvidia drivers.  Everything is working fine now.

• ven98
    Options
    Glad you managed to solve the issue.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system