My CPU reach 100°C in game, help!

YgrecPeKa
YgrecPeKa Member Posts: 95 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi there!

Recently I've come to realize the temperature of my laptop is too high when I'm in game (with high/maximum settings). I just check it using with PredatorSense and HWMonitor and it appears to go over 90°C for the CPU, I know it is too hot so, what can I do for that? Should I contact Acer Support? I bought my laptop in September of last year so warranty still going.

Thanks for advance guys!

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• YgrecPeKa
    This is my PredatorSense actually, it is obsolete? Because I just checked a video and I don't have the same PredatorSense...
  • sri369
    YgrecPeKa said:
    This is my PredatorSense actually, it is obsolete? Because I just checked a video and I don't have the same PredatorSense...
    Predator Sense differs between laptop models.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • YgrecPeKa
    edited June 2018
    I'm afraid about undervolt my cpu, that's mean potentialy troubles and I never did that :scream:
  • SatansTheory
    SatansTheory Member Posts: 92 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Every predator seem to need to be undervolted to get into fairly 85c temp range 
  • YgrecPeKa
    What do I lose by doing undervolt? some performance? what is advantage and inconvenient?
  • angomy
    angomy Member Posts: 48 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    Undervolting is very safe compared to doing other things such as repasting -- just do incremental changes to see how far you can go and make sure it's set to revert back to normal voltage if your computer crashes.  I have my Predator undervolted to -150mV and it's completely stable after several hours of stress testing.  The advantage is that undervolting will reduce CPU temperature by significant amounts (5+C) depending on how aggressively it's undervolted.  The disadvantage is that if you push it too far, you will experience instability issues such as bluescreens (that's when you know to turn the voltage back up to a more reasonable amount.)  I would look up what the recommended range for undervolting is for the specific CPU you have that other people are using and try that.

TBH, repasting is going to make the biggest difference for temperatures but if you're already worried about undervolting, I wouldn't recommend it.

TL;DR:
    - undervolting is safe as long as you read a guide and make SMALL CHANGES AND TEST FOR STABILITY ALONG THE WAY.
    - use a frame limiter (Rivatuner has one built in where you can specify the framerate).  There's no reason to run 120+ frames on a screen that is only 60hz and will cause your laptop to work a lot harder than it has to.
  • YgrecPeKa
    I'm not playing on my screen of the laptop, I plug my Asus ROG PG278Q in display port so I play with 144 hz and gsync. Do you think the temperature can be too high because of my ROG screen? I should try just on my laptop I guess
  • SatansTheory
    I would still Under volt it.. I do mine at -125.00 and its 100 stable. You do not loose any power just the risk that @angomy stated if you go to far you will cause system stability issues.
  • sri369
    YgrecPeKa said:
    I'm not playing on my screen of the laptop, I plug my Asus ROG PG278Q in display port so I play with 144 hz and gsync. Do you think the temperature can be too high because of my ROG screen? I should try just on my laptop I guess
    That should not affect it. I have my laptop hooked on to a Asus 22" monitor 99.999% of time, and always play games on this monitor - 1920x1080 @ 60 FPS capped.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • YgrecPeKa
    edited June 2018
    I would still Under volt it.. I do mine at -125.00 and its 100 stable. You do not loose any power just the risk that @angomy stated if you go to far you will cause system stability issues.
    I don't understand why they don't undervolt while the laptop is assembly at the factory... I'll try to undervolt my CPU then and replace the thermal paste. What soft can I use for undervolt?
  • sri369
    YgrecPeKa said:
    I don't understand why they don't undervolt while the laptop is assembly at the factory... I'll try to undervolt my CPU then and replace the thermal paste. What soft can I use for undervolt?
    ThrottleStop
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • SatansTheory
    Mines undervolted -130.9 and still hits 98C this is my second one and amazon wont ship me another. I have no close repair facilities and can only get a gift card if i return this one.
  • sri369
    Return it while you can, be it even in the form of a gift card. No point sitting with a $1000+ paper weight.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • YgrecPeKa
    Your undervolt doesn't work? Try to replace your thermal paste maybe, I'll try it too after undervolt
  • sri369
    YgrecPeKa said:
    Your undervolt doesn't work? Try to replace your thermal paste maybe, I'll try it too after undervolt
    He is still within the "return" window. Plus replacing thermal paste voids warranty.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • YgrecPeKa
    sri369 said:
    YgrecPeKa said:
    He is still within the "return" window. Plus replacing thermal paste voids warranty.
    Really? Because they is no seal for the warranty, some people said it is possible to change the thermal paste and still going warranty. Furthermore, I watched a video and it is really simple to access for replace paste
  • angomy
    angomy Member Posts: 48 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Thermal pasting voids warranty in the US.  EU consumer protection is different and in many of those countries you are allowed to repaste without voiding your warranty.
  • YgrecPeKa
    Thanks to confirm that :) I'll do it asap