ET430K 4k monitor. The monitor goes black from time to time, speakers make click sounds & cut out.

kjfenton
kjfenton Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 16 in 2019 Archives
Hello - first let me say when the monitor works properly it is a beautiful screen. However after a few days of use 3 very odd things started happening...
1.  The screen will go black for a few seconds then come back on.  I'm not a gamer so this happens while internet use or quickbooks. (Turns out a friend bought same screen having this problem)
2.  From the very beginning the speakers would alternately make a tick sound almost like a drip, drip and go left or right never both speakers at the same time.
3.  Lastly the audio stops working randomly  - I was switching between YouTube and Photoshop and audio would drop from YouTube - I deselect, then re-select the speaker output or go to desktop and it would return, however the last time I had to reboot my system.
*My Hardware is HP Envy desktop with i7 and Nvidia 1080t graphics.  Using new HDMI cable.
I appreciate any help??
Thank you,
KJ

Best Answer

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Hello all,

Unfortunately i don't have any further information, the engineering department is taking care of this directly with the customers once the monitors are sent for diagnosis to our repair centers. The monitors need to be sent for repair, i don't have a direct link for the firmware update and that needs to be done by a technician in our repair center. 

Sorry for any inconveniences this may cause, 
    Acer-Manny

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    kjfenton 

You may stop your monitor going into standby in power options and turn your monitor off manually when your away for a bit of time.". Check by going to settings, system, power and sleep, additional power settings (under related settings), and change plan settings, then under display and check if that solves the problem.

Also, check if you have the latest Nvidia driver installed on your computer.

If the issue persists, do a process of elimination and plug a different HDMI device into the monitor and if it still does not work you will know its the monitor and then plug the PC into another HDMI monitor/TV and if it does not work you will know its the PC. Also try with a different connector e.g. display port. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • kjfenton
    kjfenton Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi Sharanji - I will double check your suggestions, however it is set to "High Performance" mode as I sometimes do Premiere Pro rendering which can take a while.  Previous monitor never cut off for a few seconds.  Nvidia driver is current.  HDMI is new but I'll switch just to make sure and try DP.

Interestingly a co-worker has this same monitor and it happens to him too.... we think maybe an internal temp fail-safe may be set to low... something a firmware update could fix... Please investigate. 
  • whitewidow
    whitewidow Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have also experienced this issue about a month into owning the monitor. At first I was not sure if it was the video card or the monitor. It turns out that others have had the same issue with this monitor. I received a call from a Acer rep after they responded to my negative newegg review of the monitor. He stated as the reason and explanation is that the monitor cannot display video under 30 FPS. This explanation essentially shifts the blame from Acer to the consumer who just paid over $500 for this monitor. I must say that I really do not appreciate that kind of trickery from Acer. I have never had a brand new monitor do this before. The monitor is to blame in this instant but Acer does not want to accept responsibility. He offered to let me ship the monitor to Acer for repair. I'm not sure if shipping it off is worth it at this point. I'm still debating on what to do now. Overall my customer experience was worsened and the situation irritated further by what I heard during the phone call. I'll update when I make a decision on how to proceed.
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    kjfenton 
    whitewidow 
    This thread has already been escalated to the concerned Acer team. Kindly wait for them to take a look at this thread and respond.
    You can also directly send a private message to Acer-Manny  
    https://community.acer.com/en/messages/add/Acer-Manny 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi kjfenton and whitewidow,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Acer monitors (ET430K).

kjfenton  - Can you please send me a PM with the S/N of your monitor so I can look into this for you? 

whitewidow -  When did Acer Representative call you and what is the reference number or case ID they provided you for the follow up call (Please PM me)? Also can you please PM me with the S/N of your monitor? 

Thanks in advance,

Acer-Manny    

• SFosson13
    SFosson13 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the same issues. My issues are only present while gaming, any other time the monitor works well. This all started about 2 weeks ago.
  • Onticom
    Onticom Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Just found this thread while looking for solutions for the same problem I'm experiencing with the same monitor which I bought at the weekend.

Other research suggests the problem is potentially a flaw in Acer's power saving settings for the monitor's speakers.

Im going to investigate further this evening. 
  • Onticom
    ...Just to add: it seems like a few other people are experiencing the same, or very similar problems with this monitor:-

https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1662105-brand-new-display-monitor-jumps-black-screen.html

That's one user, who experienced similar symptoms, but only using (more than one different) displayport cable. He did not experience the problem with HDMI cables.

https://forums.evga.com/DisplayPort-and-black-screen-Page-2-m2439790-p2.aspx

This is a thread about a different monitor, but 2 users of this monitor chime in with accounts of the same problem.
  • Onticom
    edited August 2018
    kjfenton and whitewidow, did you get anywhere with Acer customer support?

I've tried 2 different cables and my screen blacks out with both, so it doesn't seem likely to be a cable issue.

I had terrible customer service from Acer with a tablet I bought some years back, and now it seems like not too much has changed - I'm quite eager to know whether there's a fix in case I need to return this screen.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    edited August 2018
    Hi SFosson13 and Onticom,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues. Please send me a private message (PM) with the serial number (S/N) of your monitors including the following answers please: 

• What input are you using? (DP, HDMI etc.)
    • What resolution? (4k, 60hz etc.)
    • What system? (please detail as much possible Video card, CPU, etc.)   

Thanks,

Acer-Manny    

• Onticom
    Hi Onticom and Onticom,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues. Please send me a private message (PM) with the serial number (S/N) of your monitors including the following answers please: 

• What input are you using? (DP, HDMI etc.)
    • What resolution? (4k, 60hz etc.)
    • What system? (please detail as much possible Video card, CPU, etc.)   

Thanks,

Acer-Manny    

Hi Manny - thanks for your post. I've sent you a PM with all the details that you have requested.
  • Onticom
    @Acer-Manny - while you look into the details I've provided for a bespoke solution, please could you perhaps post up what solution fixed the problem for kjfenton and whitewidow?
  • Onticom
    @Acer-Manny - when do you think I'll see any sort of substantive response on this? Currently I'm sat in front of what is a fairly expensive monitor that keeps blacking out for seconds at a time.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi Onticom, thank you for your patiance,

I don't have a date or response at the moment to provide officially, i have escalated the information you provided me to the appropriate department for review and as soon i hear something from them i will gladly update you here.

Please keep in mind that you can also contact your local Acer support center for assistance in which might be a faster route as the Acer community is not an direct portal to customer service or technical support:

SUPPORT: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/service-contact
    CHAT: https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/chat/chat_launch/#_ga=2.7866674.1622918045.1534774291-1045363774.1531752932 

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny 
  • Onticom
    By way of update - I contacted the seller (Amazon) and arranged a replacement, which was a faff (for such a large monitor) but the replacement has, so far, not exhibited the same flaw, so it seems like this is (wholly or partially) an Acer Quality Control issue.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Thank for the update Onticom,

We need to take a closer look at this issue so the monitors need to come in for repair at your local Acer service center. If you still experiencing this issue, please contact your local Acer support center for assistance: https://www.acer.com/worldwide/

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • Onticom
    Thank for the update Onticom,

We need to take a closer look at this issue so the monitors need to come in for repair at your local Acer service center. If you still experiencing this issue, please contact your local Acer support center for assistance: https://www.acer.com/worldwide/

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
    It's back with Amazon now - they may be in touch.

A while back I asked for how the problem was fixed in all the other instances of this fault - which I would have thought would have been fairly straight-forward for someone at Acer to post here and possibly help out some of its customers. That's never been forthcoming, and looking back, no reason has been provided to explain why.

Manny, even though the replacement screen seems OK, I remember that you said you'd escalated this to the "appropriate department" and would update when they did.

Have they been able to come back to you with anything yet?
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Yes Onticom,

The engineering department is asking for the monitors to be sent to our repair center to take a closer look at the issues because the testing ones we have in our labs have not reproduce the issue so far.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny 
  • ethanamongstfriends
    ethanamongstfriends Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi. I'm having the same issue but less frequently since changing from display-port to HDMI. Has there been any further developments on this?
  • antischnulz
    antischnulz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi everyone,

sadly I experience the same problem with the sudden black screen. I tried different computers mainly a PC with gtx970 current drivers and a MBP late 2013. Both on display port, tried different cables also.
    I tried to locate the current firmware but I counldn't find one.  

Could anyone point me to the DL link and the firmware software?
    Any news if the black screen problem ist solved?

Thanks 
    david
This discussion has been closed.