Triton 700 - buzzing / coil whine coming from the chasis

Broko
Broko Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello,

Tonight I noticed that my Triton 700 has a buzzing, slightly crackling sound coming from the lower part of the chassis, around the right side of the keyboard.
The sound increases under load, as expected, and disappears when the machine is idle or not under any serious load. I mostly do not notice it over the sound of the fans when at high load, but in a very silent room it can be distinctive and noticeable.

I am not sure if this has been the case since I own it, or if it started happening now.

My question is if this behavior is expected by this machine, or should I be trying to return it for repair (most likely motherboard change)?

If this is normal for the model, then there is no use trying to get it repaired, but at the same time I am not sure if the problem existed at first, and if it appeared later on then it's definitely something I'd like to get fixed.

What do you guys think?

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Most likely it is a coil whine coming from the GPU or something related to it, as you say it is located in the right side of the keyboard. Coil whine is harmless to the machine and doesn't indicate any fault. If you decide to send it for repair because of it , they will send it back saying it is normal.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Broko
    Forgot to mention that it is definitely not coming from the speakers and it's audible when they are fully muted. 
    I know there is a different issue with crackling speakers, which I have also experienced with this machine, but this problem is different and is most definitely originating from the electronics under the keyboard.
  • asad814
    asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    yes the motherboard need to be replaced
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Most likely it is a coil whine coming from the GPU or something related to it, as you say it is located in the right side of the keyboard. Coil whine is harmless to the machine and doesn't indicate any fault. If you decide to send it for repair because of it , they will send it back saying it is normal.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Try using ThrottleStop and unchecking C1E this may solve the coil whine, however the notebook may also consume slightly more power.

Q-6
  • Broko
    Queen6 said:
    Try using ThrottleStop and unchecking C1E this may solve the coil whine, however the notebook may also consume slightly more power.

Q-6
    Interesting, but doesn't this option prevent cores from shutting down automatically, thus increasing heat emissions? I am using ThottleStop already (and MSI AB), both tools for undervolting the CPU and GPU respectively, in order to keep temps below 75/70C (GPU/CPU). Still, I might try the option to see how it goes - thanks.

And thank you everyone else for the rest for the comments so far.

I think I rather go with the comment that coil whine is normal, too much hassle to open and change the MB of such a relatively new and very expensive machine.

In case the while increases with time, that might be a real problem, I reckon. 
  • ven98
    To reduce the coil whine you can turn Vsync on, but if the laptop is with the 144Hz display vsync won't help.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Broko
    It's the 120hz model. 

Wouldn't v-sync overlap with the g-sync functionality, though, or introduce some kind of latency?
  • ven98
    If your fps is under 120fps all the time vsync is not needed. Usually gsync works between 30fps and the maximum your monitor can display(120fps), which means if you fps goes higher than 120 you will experience tearing, therefore vsync is needed to cap the fps to 120. Vsync and Gsync don't overlap with each other. You can try running them both and you will see no difference between vsync on and off when gsync is enabled.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    Broko said:
    Queen6 said:

Q-6
    Interesting, but doesn't this option prevent cores from shutting down automatically, thus increasing heat emissions? I am using ThottleStop already (and MSI AB), both tools for undervolting the CPU and GPU respectively, in order to keep temps below 75/70C (GPU/CPU). Still, I might try the option to see how it goes - thanks.

And thank you everyone else for the rest for the comments so far.

I think I rather go with the comment that coil whine is normal, too much hassle to open and change the MB of such a relatively new and very expensive machine.

In case the while increases with time, that might be a real problem, I reckon. 

TBH I doubt you will see any noticeable difference in temperature as it related more to the system being at idle than under load.  Coil whine is normal, equally due to manufacturing variance, hence why some notebooks can suffer more than others.

You already have ThrottleStop installed so nothing to loose, worst case scenario battery runtime will be depreciated a little, equally TS has profiles for such purpose...

Q-6
  • Keicchan
    Keicchan Member Posts: 48 Devotee WiFi Icon
    i had the same "issue" for some days in some games only (triton 700 1080) that vary with the fps output, enabled vsync for 120fps and gsync in windows and turned off.. but yeah it's annoyng to know that it's there anytime i hit some high fps in some occasions