Where to find out what DVD Player Software (CODEC) came with my M3910?

JohnnyFive55
JohnnyFive55 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
Need to re-install, but not on my Recovery Disc nor is it there a manifest of what software was included with my desktop on its support page.  It shows Nero 9 Essentials, but that's for burning only and not playing DVDs.

Using WIndows 10 and realize it wouldn't be compatible, but at least I could pay an upgrade price rather than the full ticket.

From what I gather, but it's a lot to sort through, there are supposedly free DVD Codecs.  DIdn't want to jeopardize my unit's stability though.  VLC was said to play DVD's and was an option supposedly, but found no clear answer as whether it does and though everyone was just confused with the fact it was an alternative player app sans codec.

Does Acer have documentation stating exactly what software was bundled with my M3910 Part Number: PT.SDX02.023?

Or does anyone have one and know the answer?

Or anyone have a solid answer regarding obtaining a free DVD CODEC via VLC or otherwise?

THANKS & CHEERS!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    JohnnyFive55 
    If you can't find that OEM software, install the free VLC Media Player app. Don't use the Microsoft Store version; it doesn't include the correct libraries and won't enable DVD playback. Instead, download the desktop version from the official site.

Also, 5KPlayer, new as it is, is quickly rated one of the best media players, standing shoulder to shoulder with VLC, KMPlayer and other popular players. It comes with all DVD codecs including MPEG2 to play all home-made and commercial DVDs on Windows 10 and previous operating systems. Besides playing DVD discs, it also supports ISO file/DVD folder playback natively. it also has all video audio codecs to play video audio files. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • JohnnyFive55
    JohnnyFive55 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

@Sharanji

Thanks for getting back to me. That'll set me of into the right direction being a most excellent and thorough response.  aka SOLID! :-)