Does my acer travelmate p259-g2-mg supports cat6 or cat6a ethernet cable ?

Options
GajalShankar
GajalShankar Member Posts: 109 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Please tell me if I want to transfer data from one laptop to another with atleast 100 MBps transfer rate. which type of ethernet cable is helpful for me ?

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    GajalShankar 
    You can use either of the cat 6 or cat 6a cable.

Cat6 supports data transfer speeds up to 10 Gbps at 250 MHz with even less (or no) crosstalk interference, due to the cable’s improved insulation. However, its 10 Gbps speed is effective only up to 164 feet. 

Cat6a supports the same 10 Gbps transmission speed as Cat6, but up to 328 feet and at 500 MHz. And, of course, with even less crosstalk than Cat6.

The transmission speed rating for each standard is theoretical. So, a legacy device that is incapable of Gigabit speeds won’t be able to attain Gigabit speeds just because you use a faster cable.

Thumbdrive is probably better option for data transfer between two devices. If you have the ability to crimp cables, you could build a crossover cable and set a temporary fixed IP address on each for data transfer through Ethernet..

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    GajalShankar 
    You can use either of the cat 6 or cat 6a cable.

Cat6 supports data transfer speeds up to 10 Gbps at 250 MHz with even less (or no) crosstalk interference, due to the cable’s improved insulation. However, its 10 Gbps speed is effective only up to 164 feet. 

Cat6a supports the same 10 Gbps transmission speed as Cat6, but up to 328 feet and at 500 MHz. And, of course, with even less crosstalk than Cat6.

The transmission speed rating for each standard is theoretical. So, a legacy device that is incapable of Gigabit speeds won’t be able to attain Gigabit speeds just because you use a faster cable.

Thumbdrive is probably better option for data transfer between two devices. If you have the ability to crimp cables, you could build a crossover cable and set a temporary fixed IP address on each for data transfer through Ethernet..

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!