Undervolting i7-8750H

Answers

• There is a new Throttlestop (version 8.70) thats designed to unlock power limit caps and works with 8th gen CPUs much better. 👍
    - Hotel Hero
  • MrGrudev
    MrGrudev Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Red-Sand said:
    There is a new Throttlestop (version 8.70) thats designed to unlock power limit caps and works with 8th gen CPUs much better. 👍
    But it doesn’t work on Predator Helios 300
  • Its working for mine.
    Whats not working for you?
    - Hotel Hero
  • MrGrudev
    I am using 8.70, but unlocking the power limit caps is not possible. Tried few times with no luck. No matter what value I set on short and long term limits, it’s still limited on 56 for 28 seconds then 45W.
  • MrGrudev said:
    I am using 8.70, but unlocking the power limit caps is not possible. Tried few times with no luck. No matter what value I set on short and long term limits, it’s still limited on 56 for 28 seconds then 45W.

Yes unlocking TDP cap doesn't seem possible at the moment for the H300 8th gen model.

Is there a reason you want it uncapped?
    - Hotel Hero
  • MrGrudev
    Not really. This CPU is pretty enough for every game I play. Im just curious to push its limits for testing.
  • I've found an undervolt of -0.140 as previously mentioned helps reduce power limit throttling just enough that you should not power limit in a game.

You will power throttle when running a CPU stress test but thats to be expected since the point of a stress test if to push the limits (voltage) of the CPU to its max.

Additionally since in game the tasks a CPU is tasked with constantly changes so your not typically subject to the 28 second power limit timing throttle as you would see in a benchmark/stress test.

Enjoy. 😀
    - Hotel Hero
  • MrGrudev
    Yes, as I mentioned before while playing games CPU can maintains 3.9 all the time without any throttling. Even on TS Bench with -0.135mV 3.9 is maintained at about 45-49W, then after throttling to 45W it maintains 3.8 which is great I think.

• Vishk519
    Vishk519 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hey,I'm quite new to undervolting and at throttlestop, I've just got myself the acer predator i7-8th Gen variant.
    I was hoping to maybe get the screenshots of the settings in the throttlestop application for maintaining optimum temps while not trading off on performance.
  • MrGrudev
    1.First set your Windows power plan to Ballanced. (minimum processor state 0% ; maximum processor state 100%) and put the slider in the middle - Better performance
    2. Throttlestop 
    The options are up to you if you want to have the temperatures in the system tray, if you want to have battery profile or not as so on..... You can leave it without changing anyhing.
    I set 2 plans in the throttestop called Performance and Game.
    In the Performance plan maximum turbo limits are 41,41,40,40,39,39 as it is the maximum you can get from your CPU.
    Second plan (Game) I reduced the maximum turbo limits on all 6 cores to 3.4Ghz. This is fine for most of the games since they dont use your CPU at 100%, but if you leave it at 3.9 will increases temperatures. If you are not willing to sacrefice a little performance then go with the 1st plan.
    Both plans are undervolted by -135.7mV for CPU Cache and CPU Core. Igpu is undervolted by -50.8mV (Thats not so important because when you are gaming or whatever you are doing to load your notebook you are using the Nvidia)
    My forth plan is Battery where the undervolt is same but I disabled turbo. You can do this by either click on the disable turbo checkbox or in the FIVR Turbo ration limits 22 for all cores. That helps increasing the battery life a lot. Maybe double it.
    TDP is left default, because you cannot change the TDP for this notebook yet. Maybe soon Acer will release update where this feature will be unlocked, as they do for other Predator notebooks.
    Your CPU may be unstable at -135mv undervolt or may be stable at even higher values. Best start with lower value, lets say -110mV, test few days and if you dont get Blue Screens and game crashed increase further until you get a blue screen. Then reduce the undervolt with -5mv and you should be OK.
    Remember to save or apply after every change you make in throttlestop.
    If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

• Vishk519
    MrGrudev said:
    1.First set your Windows power plan to Ballanced. (minimum processor state 0% ; maximum processor state 100%) and put the slider in the middle - Better performance
    2. Throttlestop 
    The options are up to you if you want to have the temperatures in the system tray, if you want to have battery profile or not as so on..... You can leave it without changing anyhing.
    In the Performance plan maximum turbo limits are 41,41,40,40,39,39 as it is the maximum you can get from your CPU.
    Second plan (Game) I reduced the maximum turbo limits on all 6 cores to 3.4Ghz. This is fine for most of the games since they dont use your CPU at 100%, but if you leave it at 3.9 will increases temperatures. If you are not willing to sacrefice a little performance then go with the 1st plan.
    Both plans are undervolted by -135.7mV for CPU Cache and CPU Core. Igpu is undervolted by -50.8mV (Thats not so important because when you are gaming or whatever you are doing to load your notebook you are using the Nvidia)
    My forth plan is Battery where the undervolt is same but I disabled turbo. You can do this by either click on the disable turbo checkbox or in the FIVR Turbo ration limits 22 for all cores. That helps increasing the battery life a lot. Maybe double it.
    TDP is left default, because you cannot change the TDP for this notebook yet. Maybe soon Acer will release update where this feature will be unlocked, as they do for other Predator notebooks.
    Your CPU may be unstable at -135mv undervolt or may be stable at even higher values. Best start with lower value, lets say -110mV, test few days and if you dont get Blue Screens and game crashed increase further until you get a blue screen. Then reduce the undervolt with -5mv and you should be OK.

MrGrudev said:
    2. Throttlestop 

Wow man,Wasn't expecting such a quick reply.Thanks for the effort and taking the time to help and providing all the screenshots and additional info.
    KUDOS bro!
  • MrGrudev
    Not a problem. Happy undervolting. Share the results
  • Vishk519
    Hey guys,so it took me a while before I could sit with my device for a considerate amount of time.
    I went with the undervolt values that MrGrudev was kind enough to share and Red Sand's YouTube video as a reference,Haven't really gone hardcore with the testing but in the benchmarks the device was able to maintain a temp of below 78 degrees constantly.
    I'll probably tweak a bit more with the values before keeping them permanently as I'm yet to check the frames in a decent AAA title.
    A big thanks to MrGrudev again and also to Redsand for the facebook group and the Youtube tuts.

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited October 2018
    I hope to make an in depth undervolt video of the i7-8750H soon. Work has ramped up due to. the end of the year at hand. Will have much more time over the holidays here next month.
    - Hotel Hero
  • MrGrudev
    Waiting for it. We can all learn something from your videos.
  • Theunknownplayer88
    Theunknownplayer88 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

tnx for all the help you guys! cant wait for video of the 8750H
  • Theunknownplayer88

Tinkerer

any comments on using Thermal grizzly liquid metal om the Predator 300?
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    any comments on using Thermal grizzly liquid metal om the Predator 300?
    Not recommended to use LM on a laptop since its "liquid" and a laptop is moved frequently.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Theunknownplayer88

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    tnx for the answer, but i thinking of maby a thin layer of silicone around the square  not sure what to do yet.. just got this laptop :) 

• Theunknownplayer88

Tinkerer

This is my first 3d mark, nothing done to IT..