Helios 300 (PH317-51-7578) Won’t Boot.

Options
SamuelMcGriff
SamuelMcGriff Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Got my Helios 300 only yesterday. After playing some games for a bit and having it work perfectly, I shut it down and went to sleep. Woke up this morning, tried to turn it on, and it won’t boot. The monitor is completely black. Completely. As if it weren’t on at all. I haven’t seen anyone else with this problem anywhere online. The power indicator is on and stays on, and the keyboard backlight comes on for about 30 seconds before fading out, coming back on again should I hit any keys. I’ve tried resetting the battery, and had no luck with it after doing that. I’ve tried fn + f5 to see if somehow my monitor had been switched off, with no luck. I don’t hear the fan running, and the AC adapter doesn’t seem to get any warmer when plugged into the laptop. I’ve not even had it a full 24 hours yet, and I’m going to be really upset if I paid over a thousand dollars for a brick. Please help me.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    There is nothing else left for you to do except contacting your retailer and ask for a replacement or contact Acer tech support.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• SamuelMcGriff
    Options
    ven98 said:
    There is nothing else left for you to do except contacting your retailer and ask for a replacement or contact Acer tech support.
    I guess so. As a last ditch effort I’m going to try a full factory reset, and if that doesn’t work, I’ll return it and ask for a new one. After waiting over a week for it to ship and spending over a thousand dollars on it, having the thing perform for only a few hours before bricking itself is a pretty miserable first impression. 
  • SamuelMcGriff
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I should add though that after connecting it to my TV through HDMI, the laptop itself seemed to work fine, which is the only way I was able to begin the factory reset process in the first place. The monitor is dead in the water, though. The problem doesn’t seem to be the hardware itself after all, or with the Laptop not booting, just the monitor.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    I'd like to suggest something. Please try power cycling the laptop by pressing the pin hole reset and holding it for 40 solid seconds. Then when turning on the laptop, press F2 (spam it) to bring up the BIOs..
    Then hit F9 in the BIOs to default it, then F10 to save and exit.

Let me know results.
    - Hotel Hero
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    I recently decided to follow on this principle - if something happens once it will happen again, but it is not certain when. Of course one time glitches happen and battery reset fixes it without it appearing again, but as it happened on day one I would just return the laptop.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!