unable to disable adaptive brightness on G9-793

b4l
b4l Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
i've been having this issue since i purchased the laptop. it essentially has adaptive brightness that i can't find a way to turn off. when i'm ingame, the overall screen brightness or visibility will shift depending on what i'm looking at - look at something bright and the screen dims, then look back to something less bright and it visibly brightens of its own accord.

most threads that i see discussing this issue on this site's forums and elsewhere refer to an intel control panel option to disable it, but my pc doesn't have said control panel as far as i can tell. this issue makes a lot of games look like absolute trash and i'd definitely like to find some sort of fix for this

fixes i've already tried:

-extensively messing with every brightness, contrast and gamma calibration setting on the pc - nvidia control panel settings, screen calibration, ingame settings, etc
-finding an adaptive brightness node to disable in Acer Quick Access, but couldn't find one
-updating the drivers for my video card and monitor ad nauseam in almost every single way possible via device manager

it could even be some sort of inherent issue with the screen, i'm not sure.

part number/sn: NHQ1TAA001***********
[Edited post to remove personal information, please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.- Acer-Dan]

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Acer Quick Access

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • b4l

Tinkerer

edited June 2018
    sri369 said:
    Acer Quick Access

My Acer Quick Access doesn't have this option, even after having updated it
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Open intel hd graphics control panel, then go to power and disable "display power saving technology" on both battery and plugged in. 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    My Predator 17 (G9-793) does not have adaptive brightness as is a G-Sync model, if the OP's notebook is the same nor will it have Intel graphics, being Nvidia only.

Q-6 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,102 Trailblazer
    b4l said:
    i've been having this issue since i purchased the laptop. it essentially has adaptive brightness that i can't find a way to turn off. when i'm ingame, the overall screen brightness or visibility will shift depending on what i'm looking at - look at something bright and the screen dims, then look back to something less bright and it visibly brightens of its own accord.

most threads that i see discussing this issue on this site's forums and elsewhere refer to an intel control panel option to disable it, but my pc doesn't have said control panel as far as i can tell. this issue makes a lot of games look like absolute trash and i'd definitely like to find some sort of fix for this

fixes i've already tried:

-extensively messing with every brightness, contrast and gamma calibration setting on the pc - nvidia control panel settings, screen calibration, ingame settings, etc
    -finding an adaptive brightness node to disable in Acer Quick Access, but couldn't find one
    -updating the drivers for my video card and monitor ad nauseam in almost every single way possible via device manager

it could even be some sort of inherent issue with the screen, i'm not sure.

part number/sn: NHQ1TAA001802037947200

Hi,
    Have you tried to switch off in Advanced Power options? If not, give it a try.

• b4l

Tinkerer

Hi,
    Have you tried to switch off in Advanced Power options? If not, give it a try.

yeah, forgot to mention that i've done this as well. hasn't changed anything
    Queen6 said:
    My Predator 17 (G9-793) does not have adaptive brightness as is a G-Sync model, if the OP's notebook is the same nor will it have Intel graphics, being Nvidia only.

Q-6 
    this comment is relevant as well
  • Queen6
    My G9-793 has the setting for adaptive brightness in the Windows advanced power settings, however set to on or off makes no difference to the display brightness regardless of external light source.  You can see that the system is accepting the change as the Action Center  brightness icon changes from a numerical percentage to text Suggested, Brighter etc. my conclusion is the notebook is capable in software, however is physically lacking the hardware.

I know some Dell's can have the adaptive brightness setting in BIOS so may be worth having a look, although I don't remember the same.

Q-6

• b4l

Tinkerer

Queen6 said:
    My G9-793 has the setting for adaptive brightness in the Windows advanced power settings, however set to on or off makes no difference to the display brightness regardless of external light source.  You can see that the system is accepting the change as the Action Center  brightness icon changes from a numerical percentage to text Suggested, Brighter etc. my conclusion is the notebook is capable in software, however is physically lacking the hardware.

I know some Dell's can have the adaptive brightness setting in BIOS so may be worth having a look, although I don't remember the same.

Q-6

So there's no fix, and i'm just stuck with it?
  • Queen6
    b4l said:
    Queen6 said:

Q-6

So there's no fix, and i'm just stuck with it?

No as the brightness should not be changing / reacting to external light sources.  Acer also produces multiple versions of the Predator 17 with slightly differing specifications.  I can only go on how my P-17 works, is the display definitely reacting to changes in external light source or just randomly?

Personally I'd verify the status of Windows, create a system backup and consider using Acer's recovery to reset the system as there's no obvious setting.  Not related I'd also verify G-Sync is set up to full screen.

Q-6
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    I'd like to try something as I suspect a registry.

Please unplug your laptop and shut down.
    Leave your laptop unplugged and power on, once fully powered on then reinsert your charger and see if that fixes it.
    - Hotel Hero
  • b4l

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:

Leave your laptop unplugged and power on, once fully powered on then reinsert your charger and see if that fixes it.
    it did not
  • Red-Sand
    In advanced power menu try setting "Dimmed Display Brightness" both to 100% and test.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Queen6
    edited June 2018
    b4l said:

Red-Sand said:

it did not
    Try again, only this time hold the left Shift key down before you select Shut Down until the notebook fully shuts down.  W10 uses a hybrid solution that hibernates the system to allow for rapid restarts.  Generally it's no issue, however to remove some persistent apps / settings you need to fully shutdown the OS.

TBH I'm not overly hopeful, equally for time it takes worth a go.  You can also (later) boot the notebook to BIOS and see if the display reacts the same, if it does issue may lay with the hardware.

Q-6
  • Red-Sand
    Queen6 said:
    b4l said:

Red-Sand said:

it did not
    Try again, only this time hold the left Shift key down before you select Shut Down until the notebook fully shuts down.  W10 uses a hybrid solution that hibernates the system to allow for rapid restarts.  Generally it's no issue, however to remove some persistent settings you need to fully shutdown the OS.

TBH I'm not overly hopeful, equally for time it takes worth a go.  You can also (later) boot the notebook to BIOS and see if the display reacts the same, if it does issue may lay with the hardware.

Q-6
    This is a relatively common issue with a lot of laptops these days and there have been numerous ways it was corrected.. just a matter of going through them one by one.
    - Hotel Hero
  • b4l

Tinkerer

Queen6 said:
    Try again, only this time hold the left Shift key down before you select Shut Down until the notebook fully shuts down.  W10 uses a hybrid solution that hibernates the system to allow for rapid restarts.  Generally it's no issue, however to remove some persistent apps / settings you need to fully shutdown the OS.
    this didn't do anything either
  • Queen6
    edited June 2018
    b4l said:
    Queen6 said:
    this didn't do anything either
    Did you try booting in to BIOS, or even Safe mode to see if the display acts the same? If can isolate it's a hardware or software issue will be a step forward.

Q-6 
  • b4l

Tinkerer

Queen6 said:
    Did you try booting in to BIOS, or even Safe mode to see if the display acts the same?

Q-6 
    earlier i tried booting it to BIOS. what specifically should i have been looking for?
  • Queen6
     b4l said:
    Queen6 said:
    Did you try booting in to BIOS, or even Safe mode to see if the display acts the same?

Q-6 
    earlier i tried booting it to BIOS. what specifically should i have been looking for?
    Same display behaviour, no settings that I remember that effect adaptive brightness, also while your there what the BIOS revision, my G9-793 is on 1.13 without issue.  In the Nvidia Control Panel is G-Sync an option?

Q-6
  • b4l

Tinkerer

Queen6 said:
    In the Nvidia Control Panel is G-Sync an option?

Q-6
    it is, and i typically keep it on, although earlier today i did try changing it to a fixed refresh