How can I lower my temps when gaming on my Helios 300?

Options
Flyguy1038
Flyguy1038 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an acer predator Helios 300 with an i7-7700HQ and gtx 1060 and even when I keep my fans at max and after undervolting to -0.115 I get high temps. The only game I’m playing is Fortnite which isn’t very demanding. Most of my settings are on low with a few on high with a limit set to 120 FPS. Even in a game like Fortnite, I get around 82 degrees Celsius on my cpu and my gpu is usually higher at about 88 degrees Celsius. I don’t believe these temperatures are good for a long lifespan so what can I do? Also how much would a cooling pad help?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    If you are not using anything to keep the laptop elevated on the surface it is sitting on, a cooling pad will help. Usually the laptop has very little room to breathe and more than 50% of the air that it is taking from the bottom is already hot air. Elevting the laptop a bit(with books or a passive cooling pad for example) will give it more room to breathe and now the air that it will be intaking won't be heated up, so you will see some improvements in temperature.

If that doesn't help, then it could just be a bad thermal paste, so you will need to contact Acer tech support.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    I have an acer predator Helios 300 with an i7-7700HQ and gtx 1060 and even when I keep my fans at max and after undervolting to -0.115 I get high temps. The only game I’m playing is Fortnite which isn’t very demanding. Most of my settings are on low with a few on high with a limit set to 120 FPS. Even in a game like Fortnite, I get around 82 degrees Celsius on my cpu and my gpu is usually higher at about 88 degrees Celsius. I don’t believe these temperatures are good for a long lifespan so what can I do? Also how much would a cooling pad help?
    Reduce the FPS to 60. More that 60 isn't noticeable on a 60Hz screen. That should reduce temps a bit.
    Keep fans on auto with cool boost on.
    Get an external usb fan to point to air above Function keys.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Hotnhordy
    Hotnhordy Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    Elevate back of the laptop a bit (cca 1-2cm) of the table or surface you are holding it on and observe temp. For me it dropped from 80 to 70 on load while playing World of Warcraft (CPU demanding game) just by elevating the back of the laptop with a piece of wood 2x2cm. GPU on the other hand is well under recommended values for GTX1050ti while gaming. Could be just poor application of thermal compound on CPU in the factory.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    There is a pinned FAQ on this forum and it gives details as to overheating.
    I suggest giving it a gander. 👌
    - Hotel Hero
  • Drewski7
    Drewski7 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Ok, I just hit 82°C trying to play pubg steam version just download the game first time loading and hit 82°C... However, I am outside and the ambient temperature is around 85 outside so I'm guessing that would have something to do with it... I'm outside but in the covered patio no direct sunlight... I just bought this Predator Helios 300 i7 10th gen 10750h, RTX 2060 6gb ddr6 and 16gb ram at 3200MHz. Love this beast so I'm so scared to see tempatures this high...should I be worried about this degree (82°C)?
  • Pb101
    Pb101 Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited September 2020
    Options
    My CPU is 92degC and GPU is 80degC when I play my game. It's fine. They are designed for it.

Things you can do to reduce heat:
    -Laptop cooling pad with back legs to raise laptop up.
    -AC unit in the room to cool the room temp.
    -Limit FPS
    -Repaste
    -Increase fan speed (coolboost, turbo)
    -undervolt (but this should there from manufacturer)
  • Bosreef
    Bosreef Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    My cpu was running way to hot while gaming 90+ and peaks at 96 this scared me alot as I know this is not good for the longevity of the mobo and other components. Finally found the answer on here after much searching so would just like to share my findings and what fixed the problem for me and now running in the 70s peaking at 84 sooo much better during gaming

Go into battery setting click advanced setting and set cpu limit to 99% this will turn off intel turbo boost