Is it worth upgrading to a 120hz panel?

Options
Zeroel
Zeroel Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi! :D

I'm using a predator with a gtx1060 6gb and a core i7 7700hq. I saw this video of a dude recently who replaced his laptop screen with a 120hz panel.

I was just wondering if a gtx 1060 like mine could run much at 120fps... would it be worth the upgrade? I play titles like black desert online and blade and soul... would those games even be able to get over 60fps at 1080p resolution? Thanks!

Best Answer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    Well it's still the simplest way to check bro.
    Turn V Sync off and make your graphic settings low enough to be able to maintain 120fps and see if it's something you can live with (graphics-wise).

I do know that if you like shooter games then 120hz will look WAY better. 👌
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    You can easily find out. Just disable V-sync from nvidia control panel and in-game settings and your games will run at unlocked framerate. If the fps are 120fps+, then you will benefit from 120Hz screen.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Red-Sand
    Options
    While the above method is the easiest way, it has been reported that higher fps is easier to maintain with a panel suited for it.
    (I have no idea why)
    Keep in mind that it doesn't help much, just reduces the dips a bit more.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Zeroel said:

I'm using a predator with a gtx1060 6gb and a core i7 7700hq. I saw this video of a dude recently who replaced his laptop screen with a 120hz panel.

I was just wondering if a gtx 1060 like mine could run much at 120fps... would it be worth the upgrade? I play titles like black desert online and blade and soul... would those games even be able to get over 60fps at 1080p resolution? Thanks!
    Give it a try first on a 120Hz external monitor, than swapping yours.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Zeroel
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    While the above method is the easiest way, it has been reported that higher fps is easier to maintain with a panel suited for it.
    (I have no idea why)
    Keep in mind that it doesn't help much, just reduces the dips a bit more.
    Yes I've read that somewhere too... that's why i asked this question...
    :c
  • Zeroel
    Options
    sri369 said:
    Zeroel said:

Only problem is I don't know anyone with a 120hz monitor T_T
  • Red-Sand
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    Turn V Sync off and make your graphic settings low enough to be able to maintain 120fps and see if it's something you can live with (graphics-wise).

- Hotel Hero
  • Zeroel
    Options
    Red-Sand said:

sri369 said:
    Zeroel said:

Only problem is I don't know anyone with a 120hz monitor T_TRed-Sand said:

Hey master, this is a bit off topic for this thread but I trust your opinion most when it comes to my laptop. will it help if I upgrade to a dual channel ram? I currently only have 1 8gb ram stick. will putting in another one that's compatible help bring my games from say 48 fps to 50-ish?