I have SF315-51G linux. Installed Windows but Intel(r) UHD Graphic 620 has error.

Options
owaisidris
owaisidris Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I bought a Linux version. Now I have finally purchased Windows 10 Home. I initially installed and tried to update. 
 What was not working?
1. Brightness control.
2. Night mode was disabled.

What I did?
1. Device Manager-> Update Intel Graphic and Nvidia MX150 driver
2. No change.
3. Repeated the process
4. Tried installing Monitor Generic pnp and non pnp driver
5. No change.

Then..
1. Searched for Fine and fix problems with devices.

Output: Intel(R) UHD Graphic 620 has error.

Then.. 

1. Downloaded latest driver from Intel website. win64_24.20.100.6136
Output: Not supported.

Then..
1. Downloaded VGA Driver (Kabylake)  22.20.16.4691 from Acers website.
Output: Brightness control is working now.
But..
1. Resolution is not as good as what windows update installed.
2. Now Updating windows 10 is giving error in installing Graphic driver(There is an exclaimation in device manager)

I just wanted to know what is the best solution for post windows installation on this laptop.

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,586 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks Jordan. I think @owaisidris has already tried your suggestions.

@owaisidris said >>>It was a Linux version>>>I get brightness control in version 22.*.*.* and 24.*.*.* but not on 23.*.*.. But 23* has good resolution>>>told me not to install Build(1803) of Windows 10 but Acer is supporting it. So it should work with it. >>>1. Intel 2. Nvidia>>>I purchased Windows 10 Home but I found Windows 10 Pro(170* build number) was installed>>>

I'm starting to suspect 2 reasons for this video glitch. Unfortunately both seem nearly impossible to confirm with a sure fix right now.

(1) Aside from the ACER device & app driver files themselves, some system files that interact with these drivers in generic Win10Pro or Home are not the same as in ACER-specific Win10Home. The ACER installation isn't available because your machine's SNID was only certified to run properly on Linux.

(2) This model shipped with at least 9 slightly different mainboards. We probably can't determine if they were all certified for Win10, Linux or both.   

Sorry. But at this time you might have to choose between having lo-rez with or hi-rez w/o brightness control under Win10Pro.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to give you the approach that I would take.

Step1   Check to see if you have the latest BIOS.  If not, update your BIOS to the latest.

Step2   Download Windows 10 Creators Update ISO a.k.a. 1703  a.k.a. Redstone 2.  
                Use rufus to create your USB media.  Rufus settings:  GPT, UEFI (non-CSM), FAT32

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Step3  Delete your Windows and install Windows 10 1703.  Please don't connect to internet during installation.

Step4   Please don't connect to internet.  Install all of your drivers from Acer's website.  It's important that you don't connect to internet so you can install Acer drivers. Please download them in advance.  After you have installed all of the drivers from Acer's website, you can connect to internet.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Step5  Please wait for Windows Update to automatically update your computer to 1803.  This might take a day or two or maybe even longer.
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    What happens when you simply uninstall the red or yellow warning driver. Exit Device Mgr. Reboot and let Win10 redetect and auto install the driver. If you're back to square 1 --- meaning no brightness control, disabled night mode but good rez --- then try downloading and installing the ACER quick access app to see if this can adjust brightness and enable night mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• owaisidris
    Options
    JackE said:
    What happens when you simply uninstall the red or yellow warning driver. Exit Device Mgr. Reboot and let Win10 redetect and auto install the driver. If you're back to square 1 --- meaning no brightness control, disabled night mode but good rez --- then try downloading and installing the ACER quick access app to see if this can adjust brightness and enable night mode. Jack E/NJ

Yes it restarts but has not effect...

I am facing some graphics problem let me take you in chronologically to make you understand my issue.

1. I bought Acer Swift(SF315-51G) with SNID: 75400073872 from Amazon.in.
    2. It was a Linux version
    3. I used it for some time it was working fine. It had both intel and nvidia divers and I was just fine.
    4. Then I installed windows and purchased a new key from O.S itself.
    5. I went with flow and let windows update install all drivers.
    6. Then there was an error in installing driver for Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620.
    7. Also my brightness control was not working
    8. In device manager it was showing a yellow triangle warning.
    9. Tried to update/disabled/uninstall followed by windows update etc. Nothing worked. This driver version was 23.*.*.*
    10. Then I downloaded driver from acer website (ver:22.20.16.4691)
    11. With this version brightness Control is working. It has some problems:
      1. When scrolling text( hold and wait scroll) is blurry
      2. When release scroll it is better again.
      3. Screen resolution is not as it was with 23* version or what it was with Linux.
    12. Then I tried to update driver again from device Manager. I got error with code  43

1. I tried to troubleshoot with Find and fix problems with device from windows and it showed Intel(R) UHD Graphic 620 Error.
    2. Then I visited Intel website and downloaded their latest drivers.
      1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27847/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=96551
      2. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27412/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-60-?product=96551
      3. Both are unable to install

Service Center
    1. They asked me to visit nearest service center. I did same. They kept my laptop for over 3 days and then finally ask me to collect my laptop
    2. My Observations with my laptop
      1. I purchased Windows 10 Home but I found Windows 10 Pro(170* build number) was installed
      2. Driver Version :22.20.16.4691  was installed So I tried updating it successfully updated too.
    3. But I am a genuine user I want what I pay. I came home and tried format it too( I am software Engineer by profession).
    4. Again I am facing same issue. And I have lost trust in Service center as what they are doing is just installing some system snapshot.
    5. He told me not to install Build(1803) of Windows 10 but Acer is supporting it. So it should work with it.
      1. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/windows10-april-2018-update

So I want proper driver support  please help me.

Thank you for reading till end.

Thank You,

Owais Idris

• JackE
    Options
    Do you see one or two display adapters in Device Manager? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @owaisidris

The brightness control issue was fixed by Microsoft in a Windows Update two weeks ago.

To update to the latest Intel driver, download the zip file and then follow the Have Disk method......click on link below.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/574831#Comment_574831

The latest intel driver for 620 is in link below (again, download the zip file).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27847/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=96551
  • owaisidris
    Options
    JackE said:

Yes you are right with driver version 23.*.*.* there is a good resolution. But brightness doesn't work. Nor Quick Access toggles work for night mode.
    No mater how much I try I get brightness control in version 22.*.*.* and 24.*.*.* but not on 23.*.*.. But 23* has good resolution.
  • owaisidris
    edited June 2018
    Options
    JordanB said:
    @owaisidris

The brightness control issue was fixed by Microsoft in a Windows Update two weeks ago.

To update to the latest Intel driver, download the zip file and then follow the Have Disk method......click on link below.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/574831#Comment_574831

The latest intel driver for 620 is in link below (again, download the zip file).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27847/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=96551

Yes I have already managed to install this version 24.20.100.6136.
    And
    Brightness Control is working.
    Resolution is not as good as 23.*.*.*
    Also When I scroll text is getting blurred, and here and there things look blurred.
    When I scroll and hold touchpad text is blurred.

By any chance if I could find 23.*.* which Microsoft is installing.
     I would try by Have-Disk method.

• owaisidris
    Options
    JackE said:
    Do you see one or two display adapters in Device Manager? Jack E/NJ
    Yes,
    1. Intel
    2. Nvidia
  • JordanB
    Options
    Have you tried the "fix blurry apps" feature in settings?

You can try to go to Device Manager and uninstall your Intel graphics drivers.  Be sure to tick the box to delete the software too.   And then let Windows automatically download and install the Intel graphics driver it wants to use.

If you still have problems, backup your important personal files and wipe your Windows installation and re-install Windows.

I don't have any more suggestions good luck.

• JackE
    Options

@owaisidris said >>>It was a Linux version>>>I get brightness control in version 22.*.*.* and 24.*.*.* but not on 23.*.*.. But 23* has good resolution>>>told me not to install Build(1803) of Windows 10 but Acer is supporting it. So it should work with it. >>>1. Intel 2. Nvidia>>>I purchased Windows 10 Home but I found Windows 10 Pro(170* build number) was installed>>>

I'm starting to suspect 2 reasons for this video glitch. Unfortunately both seem nearly impossible to confirm with a sure fix right now.

(1) Aside from the ACER device & app driver files themselves, some system files that interact with these drivers in generic Win10Pro or Home are not the same as in ACER-specific Win10Home. The ACER installation isn't available because your machine's SNID was only certified to run properly on Linux.

(2) This model shipped with at least 9 slightly different mainboards. We probably can't determine if they were all certified for Win10, Linux or both.   

Sorry. But at this time you might have to choose between having lo-rez with or hi-rez w/o brightness control under Win10Pro.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• owaisidris
    Options
    JordanB said:
    Have you tried the "fix blurry apps" feature in settings?

You can try to go to Device Manager and uninstall your Intel graphics drivers.  Be sure to tick the box to delete the software too.   And then let Windows automatically download and install the Intel graphics driver it wants to use.

If you still have problems, backup your important personal files and wipe your Windows installation and re-install Windows.

I don't have any more suggestions good luck.

Thanks @JordonB I have tried all these. I have not found it helpful. I have re-installed  windows more than 3 times now. 
  • owaisidris
    Options

JackE said:

Jack E/NJ
    I agree with you. 
    I bought linux laptop as it was little humble on pocket. And later when I could I bought Windows 10 with an impression they are selling same laptop in both linux and Windows 10 Home. I was expecting better support for windows(Endless OS is practically not for Developers it has lots of restriction,  so linux mint was my next choice).
    Every-time Acer is replying same(Download from acer website or visit service centre). I got good insights from community, a big thumbs-up. Still hoping...
  • JordanB
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓
    Options

Step1   Check to see if you have the latest BIOS.  If not, update your BIOS to the latest.

Use rufus to create your USB media.  Rufus settings:  GPT, UEFI (non-CSM), FAT32

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

Step3  Delete your Windows and install Windows 10 1703.  Please don't connect to internet during installation.

Step4   Please don't connect to internet.  Install all of your drivers from Acer's website.  It's important that you don't connect to internet so you can install Acer drivers. Please download them in advance.  After you have installed all of the drivers from Acer's website, you can connect to internet.

Step5  Please wait for Windows Update to automatically update your computer to 1803.  This might take a day or two or maybe even longer.
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    Options
    my apology's if this has already been stated:  Your laptop has an nvidia card and i wasn't aware that nvidia did a dual combo card (like some amd's are), so when windows cannot find the relevant nvidia driver, it does this thing where it installs an intel driver instead (about as basic as you can get for a windows display adapter driver).  I'd suggest installing the relevant nvidia driver from their website, restarting the pc afterwards, then checking device manager.  Now,  i think your laptop has a Geoforce MX150 nvidia card so here is the link from nvidia's website to download the driver for that card:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/135812/en-uk

or if it's not a 150, down the bottom of geoforces page, there is a detect option to work out your gpu and show the relevant driver:

https://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks @JordanB & @Gawain ! I think @owaisidris also installed the latest available ACER-flavored nVidia driver. Generally speaking, nVidia-flavored nVidia drivers seem to be a crapshoot much like Intel-flavored Intel drivers. =) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• owaisidris
    Options
    Gawain said:
    my apology's if this has already been stated:  Your laptop has an nvidia card and i wasn't aware that nvidia did a dual combo card (like some amd's are), so when windows cannot find the relevant nvidia driver, it does this thing where it installs an intel driver instead (about as basic as you can get for a windows display adapter driver).  I'd suggest installing the relevant nvidia driver from their website, restarting the pc afterwards, then checking device manager.  Now,  i think your laptop has a Geoforce MX150 nvidia card so here is the link from nvidia's website to download the driver for that card:

or if it's not a 150, down the bottom of geoforces page, there is a detect option to work out your gpu and show the relevant driver:

Gawain said:

There is no problem with NVIDIA card. I played CounterStrike Go on Steam. Also RaceRoom which was using Intel driver first I included is Nvidia Setting and now it is working well too. So nvidia is up and working well.
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    the point is this: unless you have a dual chipset for your gpu, there would be no need for the intel driver (and an incorrect driver could easily work but not totally)...which gpu driver did you install from acer's website as i see two listed for your model of machine, and which one you chose would depend on the manufacture date (same would go for the other drivers too, kabylake or not) 

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/7306?b=1
  • owaisidris
    Options

JordanB said:

Yes I can try this...
  • owaisidris
    edited June 2018
    Options
    JordanB said:

I have a doubt, with this process will windows identify my machine activation? As there should not be network. I am hoping in very next boot after installing driver and connecting to network my activation will be preserved.

The downloader is slow and build 1703 have failed to download twice. Is there any alternate URL to get these builds?
  • JackE
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Sorry for my last post. I forgot that your machine's OS was originally Linux. I'm not quite sure how Microsoft processes the activation in this case but there should be no problem since you have purchased a license already that may be tied to your email address or other personal id. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ