acer predator 17 flickering on start up

andrew143
andrew143 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I bought an acer predator 17 a few days ago and I just started noticing that the screen flickers after booting up the laptop (it happens after the predator logo). any suggestions on how to fix this?

Best Answer

• Goldark
    Goldark Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓
    Do you see the weird vertical lines and pink screen for a half second and it goes away?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    It would be better if you can upload a video, so we can see the flicker and determine whether it is normal.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• andrew143
    how do I upload a video in here?
  • ven98
    You can use googledrive or onedrive to upload it there and then share it as link.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Goldark
    Answer ✓
    Do you see the weird vertical lines and pink screen for a half second and it goes away?
  • andrew143
    edited June 2018
    yes I did, that's what it looked like when I booted the laptop. how do I fix it?
  • andrew143
    edited June 2018
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B8A13OCxkIZcvRHsRYl0zV8B7jOQP9ab/view?usp=drivesdk

Here is the video of the screen flicking from the laptop. It's an Acer predator 17 model G9-793.
  • ven98
    Other users have reported similar/same kind of issue, but I think no one got rid of it.

What version of BIOS the system is running with?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• andrew143
    I don't know but I'll check sometime today and post it here after I've found out.
  • andrew143
    I just checked and the bios version I got is 1.13.
  • Goldark
    andrew143 said:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B8A13OCxkIZcvRHsRYl0zV8B7jOQP9ab/view?usp=drivesdk

Here is the video of the screen flicking from the laptop. It's an Acer predator 17 model G9-793.
    Yup, there it is.  I've bought two Predator 17 G9-793-V5's within the last 4 months (returned the first one due to a dead pixel) and both have had the exact same issue.  I'm not aware of any fix for it but if it means anything, you get used to it and stop noticing it after a while.
  • andrew143
    OK, but for how long does it keep doing that. does it ever stop?
  • Goldark
    It seems to do it every single bootup for me.  It must be something Acer did for this recent V5 series, as most of the experts on this forum say they aren't seeing the same thing on their Predator 17's, but I've seen it on both models of mine and you on yours.  If someone comes up with a fix I'll be right there with you implementing it, but the pink really doesn't bother me anymore.  I'm usually not even looking at my screen at bootup.
  • andrew143
    Ok, thanks for your help.
  • SatansTheory
    SatansTheory Member Posts: 92 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    My first one I order did not it came with bios 1.13 so I'm thinking it was newer my replacement came with bios 1.12 does have it .I'm having a ton more issues with the replacement I hit 98c while being undervolted -130.8