Acer Iconia W4 does crash at first boot, after restoring the OS (restore partition on disk is gone)

Arrhenius
Arrhenius Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
edited March 4 in 2018 Archives
I have an iconia W4; which was running W8 and upgraded to W10. After a system crash; the drive was unusable, so I did use a USB drive with W10 bootloader, to make a fresh install.

The issue is that no matter what I do, once that windows install, at first boot the tablet show the blue screen of death. Tried with the 32 and 64 bit version of Windows 10, and no luck with either.

There is also no partition on the drive, to restore Windows 8; when I look at the partition it just show a single partition; and since I cannot remove the drive from the tablet, to troubleshoot it on my main pc, I can't do much.

Is there a way to get a restore image of the drive? It is an old tablet; and it seems incredible that there is no easy way to restore it. I can install windows without problems on another tablet (nuvision) and on my 3 computers, although nothing seems to work with the Iconia W4. Thanks

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    If you are in the US or Canada you can get the restore image from the Acer store. Elsewhere in the world you have to contact Acer support. The restore image will take you back to W8 so you'll have to do the W10 upgrade over, but the key should still be active and the upgrade therefore will be free still.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Arrhenius
    Arrhenius Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
    billsey said:
    If you are in the US or Canada you can get the restore image from the Acer store. Elsewhere in the world you have to contact Acer support. The restore image will take you back to W8 so you'll have to do the W10 upgrade over, but the key should still be active and the upgrade therefore will be free still.

Thanks; where do I find this restore image? I don't see it available on the acer site.
    I am in USA; so I was expecting to see the download link somewhere.

I did try to make boot USB drivers from Windows 8 and 10 and neither seems to work. Almost tempted to give up, but the tablet is working, so I don't see why should I throw it away.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Acer main site; Store; Recovery Media should get you there. You'll have to enter your SNID I think.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.