Monitor on HDMI is not working

Options
JaapDJ
JaapDJ Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have a VN7-591g of which the sreen is damaged. The damage is such that it's become useless. Therefore I'd like to use it in a fixed setting, with a monitor connected to the HDMI output. For a few days this has worked. Unfortunately the laptop now doesnt seen to boot to the OS anymore. Or maybe it does, but I can't see it. I can get into the BIOS but that's it. Besides that it will only display the ACER logo on an external HDMI monitor. Does anyone have an idea how I can boot to GUI on the HDMI screen? I've tried waiting for a minute or so and then connecting the HDMI monitor, but that doesnt help.

Best Answer

• JaapDJ
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Solved my own problem. Since I couldn't get anything useful on the HDMI external monitor, I decided to get a spare LCD panel from Acer to replace the broken screen. It was a bit of a gamble, but replacing the panel was not too difficult. The laptop now worked normally again but now I could not get any output at all on the HDMI monitor. It turned out this was my own fault. Before I lost the HDMI output, I had disabled the Intel GPU in the device manager, since I wanted to solely use the Nvidia GPU. When using the laptop's own monitor, that works fine. But apparently you can't get any HDMI output if you disable the Intel GPU. When I enabled the Intel GPU again, the issue was gone. Lesson learned: if you want to solely use the Nvidea GPU or make it the default, you must do that in the Nvidia-settings. Do NOT disable the Intel GPU in the device manager!

Answers

• JaapDJ
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Solved my own problem. Since I couldn't get anything useful on the HDMI external monitor, I decided to get a spare LCD panel from Acer to replace the broken screen. It was a bit of a gamble, but replacing the panel was not too difficult. The laptop now worked normally again but now I could not get any output at all on the HDMI monitor. It turned out this was my own fault. Before I lost the HDMI output, I had disabled the Intel GPU in the device manager, since I wanted to solely use the Nvidia GPU. When using the laptop's own monitor, that works fine. But apparently you can't get any HDMI output if you disable the Intel GPU. When I enabled the Intel GPU again, the issue was gone. Lesson learned: if you want to solely use the Nvidea GPU or make it the default, you must do that in the Nvidia-settings. Do NOT disable the Intel GPU in the device manager!
  • canyasee2003
    canyasee2003 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    My alpha switch  SA5-271 will not detect an external monitor connect external monitor using USB C HDMI adapter connecting to a LG monitor any suggestions.