Solution needed to support external monitor for aspire 7745G laptop not working with windows 10

Beckie
Beckie Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Sometime after windows 10 upgraded i no longer have can use external monitor. Windows 10 canno't detect it. I have gone to Acer web site and downloaded AMD graphics driver and re-installed it in compatibility mode for windows 7. This did not help. i notice that their are two graphics entries in device manager, one for the AMD HD5000 series that i re-installed and the other for Intel HD graphics 8.15.10.2900. tried updated it but it is the latest update. I can try to install in compatibility mode but not sure where to find the driver for it on the Intel site.  Not sure either if this would solve the issue. I have tried different HDMI monitors but none can be detected. Any help much appreciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Did you try to turn the monitor on with the Fn+F5 toggle key combo? Does Device Mgr show any red or yellow driver warnings? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Beckie
    Yes , that is the first thing i tried , also making sure all drivers were updated including windows 10. Also then re-installed graphics driver in compatibility mode , still no luck.
  • JackE
    Does Device Mgr show any red or yellow driver warnings? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Beckie
    No all looks good but still wonder why two graphic drivers show up the Intel HD graphics and AMD HD5000 series
  • Beckie
    also did find the intel driver and installed it in compatibility mode for windows 7. Problem still their.
  • JackE
    >>>No all looks good but still wonder why two graphic drivers show up the Intel HD graphics and AMD HD5000 series>>>

That's because the 7745G has 2 graphics adapter. The integrated Intel (or AMD) chip uses shared RAM memory. The RadeonHD chip uses its own memory. They were certified to have full functionality & switchability only under the ACER-specific Win7 and its drivers. I suggest that you try to temporarily disable the Radeon chip under Win10 to see if the integrated Intel adapter will enable the HDMI or VGA ports. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Beckie
    tried that and the reverse where i disabled the Intel graphics driver. No luck. Maybe hardware issue with HDMI port?
  • JackE
    An unlikely hardware issue. Try uninstalling both drivers from Device Mgr. Don't try to re-install. Exit Device Mgr. Reboot and let Windows re-detect the hardware and automatically re-install the drivers. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ