BIOS for Acer-aspire-785 Need to get into BIOS. Don't know password.

MarcBoudreau
MarcBoudreau Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 29 in 2018 Archives
I want to install Ubuntu on my  acer aspire 785 but cannot do without BIOS password. 
Can't remember if I set one--if so I forgot--.
Or if it's still default password.
Is there a master password?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

Nope, no master password. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Espionage724
    Espionage724 Member Posts: 20 Networker
    I don't know if a CMOS clear will wipe the password (I imagine it wouldn't on modern motherboards), but I'd give that a try.

Shutdown the computer, remove the power cord, open the side panel, and either move the BIOS jumper to the other two pins (there's 3 pins; by-default it'll be on the two pins for keeping CMOS info; moving it over to the other pin instead clears it), or remove the CMOS battery (easier and more visible; may want to wait a minute before proceeding after removal), put the power cord back in and turn the computer on, shut it down again (either during the POST screen where it should pause due to reset CMOS, or from the OS if you get that far), undo the above CMOS reset method (place the jumper back on the other pins or put the battery back in), put the computer back together and check the results.

If that doesn't work; you could try getting an unofficial BIOS mod done by someone to remove the password, but this requires a hardware SPI flasher (to dump the BIOS as-is from the chip on the motherboard and to potentially re-flash it with the BIOS password removed).