Acer R11 Chromebook Special Character Keys with multi symbols Acer R11

daloburnett
daloburnett Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 2022 in Chromebooks
I have purchased an Acer R11 Chromebook thru Amazon Canada. It has a number of special character keys that have multiple numbers/symbols. NO WHERE can I find any explanations/answers on how to access these special keys. Does anyone know how I can find out this information .... HELP!!!!

[Thread was edited to add model name to the title]

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Check whether this help you in anyway:https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1047364?hl=en-GB
    For example, if you want to type @, press Shift+@, then you will get @ and not 2.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

In addition to the normal shift-key there's Fn-key and Alt-key to get the special characters.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Talker2002
    Talker2002 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

For months I have tried to access all 4 corners of the special keys. Nothing in the electro-manual and nothing in Help. After reading the Community I think I may have some ideas as to go about getting what I want. If they don't work, I'll be back. Just like Arnold.
  • Talker2002
    Talker2002 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I have searched everywhere and still have no access to those keys with 4 characters (icons) on them. No one in this community has been able to help. I'm using an Acer Aspire A515-54 Model N18Q13. The keyboard also has keys with both English and French on them. I ordered an English keyboard but got the bi-lingual model for some reason. It was purchased in Canada. I can deal with the bi-lingual board but I want access to the icons on the special keys. I've been dealing with this since mid-September. Will someone in the Community or at Acer please clear this up?
  • billsey
    Isn't the Alt Gr key supposed to do that? You have to be using the correct language keymap though. My keyboard is US/Intl and it has a € symbol on the '5' key. I can't actually type that though since the keymap is US English, not International English. If my keymap were set ti international I could do a AltGr-5 and the € symbol would appear.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BANDU
    BANDU Member Posts: 1 New User
    I cannot find international option in control panel setting. I tried with both US (Australia) and UK, which didn't help. Wonder who the manufacturer of the keyboard.

• billsey
    edited June 2022
    Dang it, I just typed the answer for Windows. :)
    Here it is for Chromebooks:

Set your keyboard languages

1. At the bottom right, select the time.
    2. Select Settings .
    3. On the left panel, select Advanced and thenLanguages and inputs.
    4. Under "Languages and inputs," select Inputs.
    5. Under "Input methods," select Add input methods.
    6. Select the keyboard languages you want to use and thenAdd.
    7. "Enabled" is listed under the current keyboard.
    8. To set a different keyboard language, use your cursor to point to and select another keyboard.

Switch between keyboard languages

If you add more than one keyboard language, you can switch between languages from the shelf, next to the time.

1. At the bottom right, select the time.
    2. Select Settings .
    3. On the left panel, select Advanced and thenLanguages and inputs.
    4. Under "Languages and inputs," select Inputs.
    5. Turn on "Show input options in the shelf." Your current keyboard language code appears on the shelf, next to the time.
    6. Select your keyboard language code.
    7. In the "Input methods" box, select the language you want to switch to.

Tip: You can also switch your language by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Space until the language you want is selected. To switch back, press Ctrl + Space.

Add accent marks

The U.S. International keyboard has the following accent marks:

Acute (´) ' then letter
    Grave (`) ` then letter
    Tilde (~) Shift + ` then letter
    Circumflex (^) Shift + 6 then letter
    Umlaut/diaeresis (¨) Shift + ' then letter
    Cedilla (¸) Shift + AltGr + 5 then letter

Tip: On the US International (PC) keyboard, you can use ' then letter.

Use the following combinations to type specific international characters on the US International keyboard.

Important: The AltGr key is the Alt key on the right of the keyboard.

Acute (é) AltGr + e
    Acute (á) AltGr + a
    Acute (ú) AltGr + u
    Acute (í) AltGr + i
    Acute (ó) AltGr + o
    Tilde (ñ) AltGr + n
    Umlaut/diaeresis (ü) AltGr + y
    Umlaut/diaeresis (ö) AltGr + p
    Umlaut/diaeresis (ä) AltGr + q
    Cedilla (ç)AltGr + ,

• ReaderRiley
    ReaderRiley Member Posts: 4 New User

The correct solution to this problem based on my research: buy a normal keyboard and use it normally. Most of my work is research, math and, statistics. Acer has inexplicably decided that many symbols that I use all the time should be locked behind a complex mechanism that somehow involves changing the language setting on my computer despite being mathematical symbols that are in no way related to language. No thankyou. This is poor design plain and simple and the solution is to buy a better product and get on with your life.