Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Need to upgrade the HD on my Predator G3-710

RizzitRizzit Posts: 4Member New User
I picked up one of these for the kids in December but it was a bit of a compromise, there were 3 models and I picked the one with the best graphics card at the expense of an SSD.
Now I am fed up with the complaints about how long it takes to start up and we are already short on hard drive space so I want to add large SSD.
The spec is;
G3-710 i5 7400
16GB Ram (I already added 8GB to it)
2TB Hard drive ( I am not actually sure from here if that is a partitioned 2TB or 2x1TB)

Any recommendations on a decent size SSD for the boot drive and open to suggestions on any other upgrade to speed it up.

Cheers
Paul

FAQ & Answers

• ven98ven98 Posts: 2,406ACE Pathfinder
    If you are planning to use the SSD as a boot drive only without installing games on it 128GB or 256GB would be just fine. 

To find out if the HDD is partitioned or there are 2  HDDs go to disk management.
    If your question is about a device you own or want information on, always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

I am not an Acer employee!
  • RizzitRizzit Posts: 4Member New User
    I was intending to use it for OS and games, then give myself and my wife 1TB each and the kids another 1TB drive for all their school stuff.
  • billseybillsey Posts: 4,429ACE Pathfinder

Get as big of SSD as fits your budget, I'd look at 256GB, 512GB and 1TB M.2 models. You have three HD bays plus the ODD bay, and have four SATA connectors so having multiple drives isn't an issue. Since the SSD is M.2 you don't tie up a SATA slot. I believe the existing drive is a 2TB, but it's pretty easy to count if you open up the side. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
    I take it there is just a slot on the motherboard to plug the M.2 drive into then?
  • billseybillsey Posts: 4,429ACE Pathfinder
    Yep, Between the GPU slot and the two 1x slots.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
    I have ordered one of these, fingers crossed it installs ok :)
    Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB V-NAND M.2 PCI Express Solid State Drive

Thanks for the help everyone