Upgrade RAM on Spin 3 SP314-51

msrd0
msrd0 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi all,

I have a SP314-51-548L (german 2018 version) with 8GB RAM installed. Now I'd like to know if it's possible to upgrade to 12 or 16GB of RAM? I tried removing the back of the laptop, but could not find the RAM. Another thread suggested that I could find the RAM below the battery, but I found nothing except for the touchpad there.

Does anyone know if/how I can upgrade the RAM of my Spin 3 laptop?

Thanks

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,098 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You have on-board memory only in your model and no slots available for upgrade, your on-board memory is underneath the silver strip and it's soldered.

• Drleugim
    Drleugim Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello, I'm currently living in Colombia and bought my spin 3 here. I want to upgrade the memory and so when I opened the computer up it looks, I would say, identical to what msrd0's computer looks like. Does this mean that my ram is also soldered? (Stupid question I know) I took a quick pick under the MB but couldn't tell if there was a removable memory unit. The acer sales representative assured me that the unit is upgradable, and so did costumer support... what I saw inside the computer tells a different story. I need to know asap cause if it's not upgradable I will need to return it.

Thanks !
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,098 Trailblazer
    Drleugim said:
    Hello, I'm currently living in Colombia and bought my spin 3 here. I want to upgrade the memory and so when I opened the computer up it looks, I would say, identical to what msrd0's computer looks like. Does this mean that my ram is also soldered? (Stupid question I know) I took a quick pick under the MB but couldn't tell if there was a removable memory unit. The acer sales representative assured me that the unit is upgradable, and so did costumer support... what I saw inside the computer tells a different story. I need to know asap cause if it's not upgradable I will need to return it.

Thanks !
    Hi,
    According to Service guide, there are no slots available for memory upgrade but googling for memory for this model produces the results as in my links for different memory retailers, so I am confused as you are, I have raised this issue with others and try to get a definitive answer.
    http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/spin-3-sp314-51
    https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/acer/spin/sp314-51
  • Drleugim
    Drleugim Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for your quick answer. If you find out more please let me know! I will as well.
  • adylanchng
    adylanchng Member Posts: 2 New User
    Could a SODIMM slot be above the motherboard below the keyboard? 
  • sudhakar27
    sudhakar27 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi, is dat possible to remove the soldered ram & replaced with 8gb ddr4 ram. Pls tell me if any one knws
  • sudhakar27

Tinkerer

Recently i installed gygabyte pcie ssd 128gb in m.2 slot. I took backup windows 10 frm hdd& installed back on ssd. Nw boot time is less than 10 sec

• sudhakar27

Tinkerer

I feel, if we add more ram, it  runs more smoothly  can anyone suggest hw to remove manufacturer installedram to higher version ram
  • brainWAVE
    brainWAVE Member Posts: 1 New User
    Although this thread my be cold I can probabely shed some light for other users.

I have a Spin 3 SP314-51-P50W - it is the one with the Pentium 4415U. Well, I opened it and there was only the soldered RAM, no empty slot. Since there is a M.2-Slot, I tried a WD Green SATA-SSD M.2 2280, but my laptop does not show it - neither in the BIOS nor in Windows 10.

My guess is, the more advanced models are upgradeable (i3/i5), the entry model (like mine) are not.

Hopefully this can help someone out there, cheers :-).
  • msrd0
    msrd0 Member Posts: 2 New User
    @brainWAVE Well I'm still using my laptop and would still wish to upgrade the RAM. My laptop has an i5 in it, and it's using the M.2 slot for the SSD already. The slot for the 2.5'' drive is empty and equiped with a (probably working) SATA connection, but I don't see how I can use that to add more RAM.
  • Ricky112
    Ricky112 Member Posts: 3 New User
    whats the maximum GB Ram we could add on the acer spin 3?
  • Ricky112
    and i have a spin SP314-51 with 4GB ram installed 
  • Ricky112
    i use laptop and the first time i used it it start lagging and the screen freeze alot even though i haven't download anything on it i tried to deleted the app that was junk and i did not used but it have the same react. i went to the place to fix and ask to add a 8GB ram, they said that my laptop could have malware and stuff so they can't change the ram so they add this app call Kapersky which check if my laptop have malware and virus but it have the same reaction and continue freezing. What should i do?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    @Ricky112 as stated several times above, the Spin 3 can't be upgraded for more memory. The memory chips are soldered to the motherboard and there's no socket for expansion. All models come with either 4GB or 8GB of memory on the motherboard. Your freezing could be any of about a zillion different things. Does Task Manager or Resource Monitor give any clues as to what's the bottleneck? It's potentially not memory at all, typically you run into disk activity being the issue before memory shows up.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BALLESTAS
    BALLESTAS Member Posts: 9 New User
    Hi everyone, im looking to upgrade the HDD to SSD in my Acer Spin 3 (SP315-51-377Y), somebody knows what is the right SSD memory for my Spin 3?

Thanks
  • billsey
    @BALLESTAS you should start your own thread with your question. You have a different model that this thread is about, and you are asking about SSD compatibility instead of memory.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jeffrey21
    Jeffrey21 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, I've got a Spin 3 SP314-52 and I'm looking to upgrade my ram since it only came with 4GB, I was curious to know if task manager is correct and saying that there is a 2nd slot, and if there is, what would I need to do to access it? 
    Thanks
  • billsey
    You should have started a new thread for yours, since it's a different model than this thread is for. The SP314-52 has soldered in memory and no socket. The chipset supports two banks and on the models that come with 8GB there are two banks soldered in.
  • Awei06
    Awei06 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi all,

I am in Singapore,I have a SP314-51-57XZ  with 8GB RAM installed. Now I'd like to know if it's possible to upgrade to 12 or 16GB of RAM?
  • billsey
    As @brummyfan2 says near the top of the thread, the SP314-51 models do not support memory upgrades.