VX5-591G problem with SSD NVME Plextor M8PEGN 256GB

Options
pychmen
pychmen Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I've added this SSD drive to my laptop, and BIOS shows it as 

HDD0: Identify data not found

When i set BIOS to Legacy mode, my SSD is showed up correctly, but my HDD dissapears.

Anyone allready had that problem?

Answers

• pychmen
    Options
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    Go to BIOS and check whether the SATA mode is in AHCI, if so you could try a clean installation after removing the HDD. When you create the installation media, select the partition type as GPT.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

• pychmen
    Options
    Hi,
    Go to BIOS and check whether the SATA mode is in AHCI, if so you could try a clean installation after removing the HDD. When you create the installation media, select the partition type as GPT.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

Well, SATA mode was set to AHCI, so i unplugged HDD and nothing changed. SSD is not visible in BIOS when UEFI mode is on (WIN10 installator can't find SSD drive). 
  • brummyfan2
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hi,
    When you created the installation media, did you select the partition type as GPT? Could you please post the Disk management snip while the M.2 SSD in the laptop.
  • pychmen
    Options
    Hi,
    When you created the installation media, did you select the partition type as GPT? Could you please post the Disk management snip while the M.2 SSD in the laptop.
    At this moment i have HDD unplugged, but it was not visible in disk management, but in device manager it showed up. Also HWINFO recognized that disk.

Yes, i have set GPT.
  • pychmen
    Options
    brummyfan2

What do you think about that solution?

Hi guys, my sollution is bit complicated, but works for me:

I had the same problem, in legacy I was able to see new SSD, but I was not able to boot Windows 10 installer, but in UEFI I was not able to see it.

For my sollution you will need to have 2x USB - one with GPT partition scheme installed ubuntu by rufus and next one with Windows 10 installation disk

What I did was simple boot to ubuntu in UEFI settings in BIOS (don`t forget to change settings before installation) and run installation of ubuntu to new disk (ubuntu can see my disk). During installation to disk, ubuntu asked for conversion of disk to UEFI and then just continue with installation. Once done, you can turn off and check BIOS again - voilaa there is your new disk with ubuntu boot loader. 

Next steps are easy. Reset computer, insert windows 10 installation usb and clean all partitions on new disk. Create completely new partition on it (windows installer will make another 2, but don`t worry) and continue installation. Yeah, and at the end of this process, you will be able to boot to Windows 10 on new M2 SSD :-)

I hope you enjoy ;-)
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    pychmen said:
    brummyfan2

What do you think about that solution?

Hi guys, my sollution is bit complicated, but works for me:

I had the same problem, in legacy I was able to see new SSD, but I was not able to boot Windows 10 installer, but in UEFI I was not able to see it.

For my sollution you will need to have 2x USB - one with GPT partition scheme installed ubuntu by rufus and next one with Windows 10 installation disk

What I did was simple boot to ubuntu in UEFI settings in BIOS (don`t forget to change settings before installation) and run installation of ubuntu to new disk (ubuntu can see my disk). During installation to disk, ubuntu asked for conversion of disk to UEFI and then just continue with installation. Once done, you can turn off and check BIOS again - voilaa there is your new disk with ubuntu boot loader. 

Next steps are easy. Reset computer, insert windows 10 installation usb and clean all partitions on new disk. Create completely new partition on it (windows installer will make another 2, but don`t worry) and continue installation. Yeah, and at the end of this process, you will be able to boot to Windows 10 on new M2 SSD :-)

I hope you enjoy ;-)
    Hi,
    Well done :)  nice work, thanks for posting your solution, please mark your post(the solution) as Answered because it will be useful to anyone who may have this problem in future.
  • pychmen
    Options
    I did not try this. Yet.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
  • pychmen
    Options
    You said it worked for you.
    Nah, i asked what do you think about this solution and pasted text that i've found somewhere
  • brummyfan2
    edited June 2018
    Options
    pychmen said:
    Nah, i asked what do you think about this solution and pasted text that i've found somewhere
    OK, sorry I must have misread your post, yes no harm in trying as it looks like a reasonable solution but make sure to backup you important data on an external drive to be on the safe side.
  • pychmen
    Options
    pychmen said:
    OK, sorry I must have misread your post, yes no harm in trying as it looks like a reasonable solution but make sure to backup you important data on an external drive to be on the safe side.
    I give up, can't find a way to make this SSD drive work.