Possible solution - black screen issue

sri369
sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I faced this issue on mine when playing Ghost Recon Wildlands on the Acer bundled Windows 10... laptop screen would go black and not respond from there.
I installed Windows 7 and didn't encounter this issue.
And then I installed Windows 10, but since I deleted all my partitions on my primary hard disk, i could not restore the Acer one. So I went to MS site, and made myself a bootable USB, and used that to install Windows 10.

Important: When I removed all partitions, I created MBR instead of GPT. This too could be a possible solution. I am not sure, but mentioning this in case anyone else wanted to take this route to troubleshoot.

Update: No black screen when playing Ghost Recon wildlands since this install of windows 10. ***touchwood***

So I am starting to wonder if the customized version of Acer windows is what is screwing up the things.
For folks who are concerned about predator sense and such not working, they do work. Just download from Acer site and install them. And windows 10 downloaded one installs all needed drivers.
Karma...
LIKE - if helpful
ACCEPT - if helped resolve
---------
Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045

Answers

• Roland_Lorinczi
    Roland_Lorinczi Member Posts: 126 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    1: I did a clean install of the latest windows 10 (build 1803) via bootable usb creation from microsoft, so no custom Acer windows and I still have the blackscreen issue on both laptops (PH317-52 & PH315-51) running win 10 home and win 10 pro.
    2: Installed drivers from Acer website with windows updates disabled so they are not overwritten, and installed predatorsense software from my laptop model's intended drivers page on Acer, yet it doesn't work.

Thanks for trying though, I do sincerely appreciate it, I'm not stating they don't work to shut you down or anything, just for the sake of being factual and perhaps useful for anyone who may find the thread.

After all we've been through with our laptops...I'd like to think we're sorta-kinda-friends-ish 😋 So I do hope this comment doesn't ruin that @sri369
    ⚠️ If you're affected by the System Hang/ Black Screen issue:

Official Fix Announced by Acer_Manny
    Instructions for FIX

Currently owned Acer systems:
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) - Same specs and issues as above 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    Uh oh...

Do NOT install any drivers from Acer site. Let windows find them.

Only driver you might want to install would be nvidia update, that too only if you wanted additional software like experience and such. My current 10 install has all drivers auto-installed by windows during its install.

I installed windows 1803, got all updates from windows until there were no more left, upgraded from home to pro. Set feature update defer to 365 days and other updates to 30 days. Windows update is not disabled.

@Roland_Lorinczi
    After all we've been through with our laptops...I'd like to think we're sorta-kinda-friends-ish 😋 So I do hope this comment doesn't ruin that
    What are you saying? Aren't we all friends already ;-)

I have been in the software industry for about 20 years now, and been in all phases of development. So pretty well know how irritated customers could get when things don't go the way they want.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    Roland_Lorinczi Member Posts: 126 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    @sri369 A friend in need is a friend indeed 😂 Yeah, I hear ya... :) 
    ⚠️ If you're affected by the System Hang/ Black Screen issue:

Official Fix Announced by Acer_Manny
    Instructions for FIX

Currently owned Acer systems:
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) - Same specs and issues as above 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru

Hello sri369,

First we would like to thank you for your patience while we resolved this issue.  We have found a solution for this problem “system hang up then black display after reboot” and will be releasing a BIOS update (version 1.15) with a fix for it. These BIOS will be available on the Downloads Page https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers shortly.  

It looks like we have multiple threads reporting this issue, in order to consolidate all topics and be able to keep track of all of the reports from our users we will go close this topic. Please continue the discussion on this topic: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/576259#Comment_576259  once the BIOS v.1.15 becomes available in our website we will update the thread again with the direct download link.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

This discussion has been closed.