Need advice on upgrade RAM on my Acer v15-nitro black edition (Aspire VN7-591G)

sOKAN
sOKAN Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello everyone,

After using my laptop in a while, i think i need more ram to perform more tasks and i could not find a good forum that discuss in detail about this laptop.
I want to upgrade my laptop ram to 32GB but i am not sure if this laptop will support this large amount of ram.

My laptop detail:
  • System Model: Aspire VN7-591G
  • Processor: i7-4720HQ
  • Ram: 12GB (4 slots of ram)
  • GPU: GTX 860M
  • Motherboard: Acer Aspire VN7-591G (U3E1)    (got from Speccy)

In addition, this laptop is equipped with Saumsung M471B1G73DB0-YK0 and in case if it support 32GB of ram, should i upgrade it with the same Ram model or go to another branch because it is a little hard to find this one online.

I would appreciate any help and ideas.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Are you sure you have 4 slots for RAM? From the info that I have there are only 2 RAM slots.
    According to this info(see attached picture) the laptop supports up to 16GB of RAM(2x8GB), but from in the CPU's specification it is shown that it supports up to 32GB. It is possible that the motherboard can't take 32GB, so if you want to go for 32GB there is a chance that it won't work.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• sOKAN
    sOKAN Member Posts: 2 New User
    But by using some command on Linux they tell me that they support 32GB and 4 slots of ram. You can see the below result:

# dmidecode -t 16
    # dmidecode 3.1
    Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
    SMBIOS 2.8 present.

Handle 0x000D, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
    Physical Memory Array
    Use: System Memory
    Error Correction Type: None
    Maximum Capacity: 32 GB
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided
    Number Of Devices: 4

So my question is that, can i trust this information? and if i can trust them, then should i choose the same ram brand or is it okay to choose another as it is hard to find the same thing that is equipped from manufacturer in my living place.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    There are only 2 physical RAM slots, which are located at the back of the laptop. Like I mentioned in my previous post the CPU supports 32GB, but in the manufacturer's specs sheet it shown that it supports up to 16GB, so I am unsure of whether it can take 32GB. 

You don't have to choose the same RAM brand, just make sure that the frequency and CAS Latency(CL) of the new RAM module are the same as the one inside your laptop, otherwise the system won't boot.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!