Acer Preadtor 17 Complete Lock out

2»

Answers

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    Can confirm it something with windows causing it. 

As installing an alternate OS (such as linux) renders no issues. 

Additionally some users have fixed their issue reinstalling Windows. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    My G9-793 (770HQ, GTX 1070, 32Gb) is on BIOS 1.13, W10 1803, Nvidia 397.93 with no issues if that's of any help.

You can also check for corrupt system files by opening the Command  Prompt (under Administrator) type sfc /scannow  This will search and fix some errors if uncorrectable the system will advise. The DISM tool can repair deeper issues, however you will need a decent connection and the Windows Update client must be functional. 

I would advise running the SFC command first and if unsure of the results posting screen captures.  The Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool will make changes / update the system image where it finds difference versus the Microsoft stock Windows image.  

Quick check - Command  Prompt (under Administrator) type: DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /CheckHealth
    Deeper Scan - Command  Prompt (under Administrator) type: DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
    Will Repair & modify any errors - Command Prompt (under Administrator) type: DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

Again the DISM tool will change system files so ensure you backup your notebook first.  Some commands will take time to execute so be patient 

Q-6
  • SatansTheory
    SatansTheory Member Posts: 92 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    sri369 said:
    Well i have had 3 system lockups in the last hour while playing Jurassic Park Evo and once while playing fortnite. Still runs about the same Temp as the other one. Not sure if i should send this one back and keep the other one now. I only had one system lockup on that one and it was a Hard lock. I have had 3 in the last hour on this one.
    So the issue is with both old and new ones?

sri369 said:
    Well i have had 3 system lockups in the last hour while playing Jurassic Park Evo and once while playing fortnite. Still runs about the same Temp as the other one. Not sure if i should send this one back and keep the other one now. I only had one system lockup on that one and it was a Hard lock. I have had 3 in the last hour on this one.
    Just the new one. I ran a memory test over night the first one never finished. I ran one when i went to the doctors and it came back fine. I am now updating windows that keeps failing. I thought maybe the memory might be corrupted. this one doesn't give a blank screen. It freezes on whatever game i am playing and will reboot and allow me to play again. But seems to freeze while playing games ever 1 to 2 hours.
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    sri369 said:

sri369 said:
    Just the new one. I ran a memory test over night the first one never finished. I ran one when i went to the doctors and it came back fine. I am now updating windows that keeps failing. I thought maybe the memory might be corrupted. this one doesn't give a blank screen. It freezes on whatever game i am playing and will reboot and allow me to play again. But seems to freeze while playing games ever 1 to 2 hours.

How are you testing the memory? mdsched standard or extended...

Most importantly did you create a recovery drive?

Q-6
  • SatansTheory
    New one seems to be running fine but if I don't set the fans on max was playing sniper elite 4 and hi 97c on a few occasions argh 
  • SatansTheory
    Queen6 said:
    My G9-793 (770HQ, GTX 1070, 32Gb) is on BIOS 1.13, W10 1803, Nvidia 397.93 with no issues if that's of any help.

You can also check for corrupt system files by opening the Command  Prompt (under Administrator) type sfc /scannow  This will search and fix some errors if uncorrectable the system will advise. The DISM tool can repair deeper issues, however you will need a decent connection and the Windows Update client must be functional. 

I would advise running the SFC command first and if unsure of the results posting screen captures.  The Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool will make changes / update the system image where it finds difference versus the Microsoft stock Windows image.  

Quick check - Command  Prompt (under Administrator) type: DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /CheckHealth
    Deeper Scan - Command  Prompt (under Administrator) type: DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
    Will Repair & modify any errors - Command Prompt (under Administrator) type: DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

Again the DISM tool will change system files so ensure you backup your notebook first.  Some commands will take time to execute so be patient 

Q-6
      Im running the sfc /scannow (now) lol. To see if i can cure the system lockup and system restarts.