Aspire 7 A717-71G-71WT usb-c not working for external monitor

Options
varjuakos1
varjuakos1 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi!

I try to daisychain two Dell monitors through the Aspire 7 usb-c. I ordered a USB-C 3.1 to DP 1.2 cable from Aliexpress for the job.
I plugged it in, selected the input on the monitor, and nothing happens. I tried the cable with Acer Swift7...working.

Is there any software setup to do? Or need to install some GPU software on the Aspire 7?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    varjuakos1 
    You need to use the HDMI for connecting the external monitors.
    The USB Type-C port on your device connects to USB devices that adopt the USB Type-C connector. Supports USB 3.1 Type-C, Gen 1 with transfer speeds up to 5 Gb/s.
    Please note that not all USB-C ports are able to carry a video signal. You will need to connect to a port that is labeled with one of the icons below  and this port is not available on your laptop. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • ReelTime88
    ReelTime88 Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited April 2019
    Options
    You can extend your display on dual monitors by using a USB-C to DisplayPort converter with a displaylink chipset (similar to docking). Go to this link for more info: https://www.displaylink.com/products/usb-adapters. The reason the cable works on the Swift 7 is because that laptop is equipped with a USB port able to broadcast video, where the Aspire is not. It is not as easy to convert USB-C to DisplayPort as it is to HDMI, so you may want to consider HDMI over DP if it's possible. Thanks. 
  • ReelTime88
    ReelTime88 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Correction, you have to use one of the regular size USB ports, cannot use the USB-C port. Thanks.