My Acer Aspire 3 A315-51 Series does not start up

Flumpy
Flumpy Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2021 in Aspire Laptops
When I try and power my laptop up it gets stuck on a black screen with my cursor on it and will not let me access the actual desktop/lock screen, why won't it start up?

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You could try a battery reset, switch off the laptop, disconnect from mains, follow the instructions in the video, leave the laptop to rest for a while before starting again.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset
  • Flumpy
    Trying this now, leaving the laptop.
  • Flumpy
    It went on the acer startup menu and once it got off it I got left with a black screen- the screen is still on but it is not loading anything.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Then retry the battery reset. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kait
    Kait Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I did and it turned on for a while but then it shut off and it wont turn on again? Help? 
  • JackE
    Did you have the charger plugged in when it turned on for a while? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kait

Tinkerer

Yes! I did but it still wont turn on
  • JackE
    Remove the charger again. Do the battery reset again with a paper clip for about 10 seconds. Then let the battery rest for about 15 minutes. Then plug the charger back in. Try to turn the machine back on. If it seems to turn on, immediately press the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. If the BIOS menu appears, press F10 to save its settings and exit. Does the machine boot now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kait

Tinkerer

Still not turning on 
  • JackE
    Remove the base cover. Disconnect the battery pack from its mainboard connector just below the memory module slot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kait

Tinkerer

Then what should I do?
  • JackE
    Put the base cover back on without the battery pack. Plug the charger back in. Try to turn it on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kait

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Put the base cover back on without the battery pack. Plug the charger back in. Try to turn it on. Jack E/NJ
    It's not turning on still.....
  • JackE
    Check the voltage of the charger's plug outer and center connectors with a multimeter. Should be about 19volts DC. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Kait

Tinkerer

I dont have one of those
  • JackE
    You can get a multimeter at WalMart, HomeDepot or Lowes for less than $20. Either that, or simply order a new charger to see if that's the problem. Also less than $20 for your model. https://www.amazon.com/Superer-Charger-Replacement-A314-31-A315-21/dp/B077M3SY3C
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kait

Tinkerer

I dont think it's my charger 
  • JackE
    My best guess is the charger. What's your best guess? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kait

Tinkerer

I thinki it's the power button 
  • JackE
    OK. Without testing the charger, we have to remove the bottom case from the top cover as shown in the image below. Then check that the battery power safety switch on the mainboard is being fully depressed by a protrusion inside the base cover when assembled. If it is working OK, the next step would be to check the charger output or replace the battery. Since you don't want to do those things, then the next step would be to replace the whole top cover since the power button is integrated with the keyboard in this cover. Sorry, but without a multimeter to check outputs, there's little we can do  except replace parts until the problem is solved. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ