Is -0.135V too much for an undervolt?

Destroya1221
Destroya1221 Member Posts: 43 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-51 17 Inch laptop and I wanted to keep the CPU cool as possible during gaming sessions so I undervolted it gradually until -0.135V. I ran a 20 minute stress test and played some Overwatch (Ultra, 70 FPS) and so far, there are no changes whatsoever. Is this okay? Might it sill have some negative effects even though I don't notice any? The laptop never shuts down on its own while stress-testing. So I guess that means it's alright, right? I don't face any difference while gaming, so it means it's okay, right? Might it have any long or short term side effects? Will it damage the laptop in the long-run?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Undervolting won't cause any short or long term harm to the laptop. It is completely safe. 135mV seems fine, but it takes more than 20minutes and some gaming to discover stability issues. If the system crashes, just increase the voltage from -135mV to -130mV or -125mV.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Flame
    Flame Member Posts: 69 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Ai undervolt for -150.4 mV and the laptop is perfectly fine, max temp is 83°C.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    The undervolt you can put on a CPU is different for each CPU even if they are the same model and type. 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Destroya1221
    Thanks so much for all the help guys. So, would you suggest that I keep going on and keep undervolting and stress it with more periods of time until I find that sweet spot?
  • Destroya1221
    Flame said:
    Ai undervolt for -150.4 mV and the laptop is perfectly fine, max temp is 83°C.
    I don't get it. Do you mean that this is your undervolt, or do you mean that this suits my model, or do you mean that this is the optimal undervolt? Would you please explain?
  • Rares95
    Rares95 Member Posts: 120 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Each CPU, even if it's the same model, will need it's own undervolt profile. You can't apply the results of someone else to you. You can however use it to try to maybe push it there, but never a guarantee. Mine is -140mv stable on a 6700hq