Curious Method to Undervolt. What is the most efficient way?

Ask_The_Dust
Ask_The_Dust Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello everyone,

I've recently found my temps running rather high while editing 4K footage and special FXs, and I was wondering what is the most efficient way to reduce average temps?  I've had my temps running around 87° to 90° on average while rendering some videos, and it has peaked as high as 92° while experimenting with large playbacks of color-graded footage. This has largely been a drain on my CPU rather than GPU according to the Predator Sense app, but I'm expecting a heavy workload in the upcoming months and wanted to be cautious as to not overheat and damage my laptop.

Anyway, I found this interesting comment on YouTube while watching Helios 300 reviews:
Turn CPU temp From 95℃ to 78℃ By Just This Easy Process, Here's A Help For All Gaming Laptop Owners - ● Great Processing Power Generate More Heat, So Cooling Needs To Be Done Very Efficiently, But Sometimes That Also is Not Enough, Do This Below Process To Bring 95℃Temp To 78℃ STEP 1- Beside Windows Start Icon There's Cortana Search Box, Type This ( Edit Power Plan ) Then Press Enter STEP 2- Then Go To (Change Power Settings) ,Then Slide Below, And Select (Power Processor Management) STEP 3- In Power Processor Management There Will Be , ( Maximum Processor State ) Option, Select It STEP4- There Will Be 2 Options, 1} On Battery- 100℅ 2} Plugged In- 100℅ STEP 5- (Important Step) Then Change Both 100℅ Setting To ( 99℅ ), Just 99℅ By Doing This Heating Issue Will Drop From 95℃ To 78℃ With (No Performance Drop) STEP6 After Setting Both To 99 ℅ Click Apply And Then Ok, Then Restart Your Laptop, And Enjoy Great Power With Acceptable Heating, Which Will Be Normal, After Doing This You Will See Great Improvement In Performance With No Thermal Throttling! 

What does everyone think about this? Is it bogus? Is this an efficient way to reduce temps on average while maintaining high performance?  Are there any severe, irreversible consequences to thermal throttling? Which method do you recommend?

Thanks,
- Dust

Answers

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Yes it's an effective method to reduce temperatures and not suffer any performance degradation.

Q-6
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    It works... all the above is doing is by setting processor max to 99% is fooling the laptop into not turning on turbo mode. Turbo mode kicks in when processor hit 100%.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • MrGrudev
    MrGrudev Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    I have Helios 300 with i7-8750H processor. My CPU temperatures goes up to 99 degreees with both fans on max (6200 rpm) and it often throttles while gaming. Reducing the maximum processor state to 90%, reduced the temperature to maximum 75 degrees while heavy gaming, with fans rpm about 4000 rpm. So yes its working. :)
  • kekaju123
    kekaju123 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hey there OP! Did you try this one? Would be cool to see if you have results just by changing to 99%.  :)
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    While the above method does indeed lower temperatures... it also disables turbo boost.

So if your using your laptop to render videos you will have a decent drop in performance utilizing the above method.

I've always recommended throttlestop as it allows adjustment of SpeedStep.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    @Ask_The_Dust

1. Undervolt using ThrottleStop
    2. Elevate laptop by adding about 1 inch feltpads under it
    3. Use an external USB fan

The first two lowered my laptop temps by 15 degrees (earlier it was 80-90 with peaks above that; this dropped to 60-70 with peaks to 80, even for most intensive games).
    Adding an external USB fan reduced these by another about 5 degrees.

The first one is a freeware software.
    Second and third are available on amazon or an store for less than $15-20 for both combined.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045