NVME drive running slow in G9-793

Coo
Coo Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi all,

I just installed a WD-Black 512gb NVME drive in my acer predator 17 G9-793. It is placed in the bottom m.2 slot and the original liteon 128gb SSD is in the top slot (designed for 22110 but held in with thermal pads). I formatted both drives using a friends computer and did a fresh windows 10 install on the NVME, it is working but only at read/write speeds of ~500 mb/s making me think something is wrong.
Intel Rapid Storage Technology doesn't detect the NVME drive, even though I'm booting from it, although it does detect my empty Liteon 128gb SSD and my 1tb HDD.

Wondering is there something I'm doing wrong or some way to fix this?

Thanks! :)

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Coo 
    Try installing a newer generic version and check if your NVMe SSD shows up on the Storage System View.
    Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Version 16.0.2.1086 (Latest)

You can use tools like CrystalDiskMark to perform a number of tests  to measure performance for reading and writing and post it here.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Coo
    Coo Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi Sharanji, thanks for the reply!
    I have the latest intel version, see screenshot showing my view. Both Liteon SSD and Toshiba HDD are visible but not my NVME for some reason.
    I've also attached a benchmark with AS SSD showing good read/write speeds but not NVME as far as I can tell?

• FredinBroome
    FredinBroome Member Posts: 23 Networker
    I remember in the old days of IDE that the drives would default to the lowest common denominator on the connector ribbon, hence hard drives were never mixed with CD /DVD drives or memory card readers. Your results appear to reflect the speed of your original Liteon 128GB SSD. Not an answer just a thought