Battery Management App is there an app for Acer laptops?

Options
Konisko
Konisko Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2023 in Predator Laptops
Many laptops nowadays come with a battery management app like Lenovo conservation and Asus battery management. Doesn't Acer have one? I have a predator and because of it's gaming capabilities I usually keep it plugged in all the time. Li-on batteries are best kept at 60%. So, is there an app for Acer laptops? 
[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    Konisko 

You would think that in this day and age  this functionality would be built into the battery circuitry so that we don’t have to worry or even think about it, they can make the battery take care of itself.

There’s no way to “overcharge” these batteries. When you get to 100% charge and leave your laptop plugged in, the charger will stop charging the battery. The laptop will just run directly off the power cable. After the battery discharges a bit, the charger will kick into gear again and top the battery off. There’s no risk of damaging the battery by charging it over its capacity.  

Leaving your laptop plugged in will not cause short term damage, but if you only ever use it on AC power you’ll almost certainly find that after a year the battery’s capacity has been significantly reduced. Similarly, if you only ever use it on battery power you’ll get through the battery’s discharge cycles quicker.  

So, the best solution is something of a compromise between the two: use it on battery power some days, and keep it plugged in on others. And in all cases, you’ll want to ensure it doesn’t get too hot.  

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • El11
    El11 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Well, this really doesn't answer the question. So there is no app for acer laptops, which would ensure that the battery doesn't charge up to 100% and the only solution is "use the battery some days and keep it plugged in other days"? Well, that means the acer notebooks aren't any good for anyone who wants gaming computer and it's better to return it to the shop and get other computer, which is able to be used for gaming, do I understand correctly? 
  • dancemonkeymadness
    dancemonkeymadness Member Posts: 48 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    El11 said:
    Well, this really doesn't answer the question. So there is no app for acer laptops, which would ensure that the battery doesn't charge up to 100% and the only solution is "use the battery some days and keep it plugged in other days"? Well, that means the acer notebooks aren't any good for anyone who wants gaming computer and it's better to return it to the shop and get other computer, which is able to be used for gaming, do I understand correctly? 
    This post was made in 2018. Today, in 2020, an IT professional came across this thread while doing some research on what benefit if any these 50% charge maintaining apps reap for battery lifetime. Here is the answer you should have received two years ago. I have little doubt you've figured this out over all this time, but I like to be pragmatic - this page has came up first in the results for my keyword searches; all of them. 

Think of battery cells like balls of cotton. Every time you're using the battery - whether it's plugged in or not - you are sitting down on all that cotton. What happens over time? It goes flat, right? You can do all kinds of things to prevent that from happening, but it's going to happen, and there's not much you can do to postpone it unless you give up sitting down on it entirely. Now, add to that: batteries also "go flat" over time even if they're NOT used. The insides of a battery are highly fragile and degradable, kind of like the fibers in cotton are highly fragile and degradable. Any use whatsoever is going to either have close to the same effect, or a negative one. 

So while you can't really extend your battery's life unless you don't use it (and even then, over time it will blow), you most certainly can shorten its life by taking improper care of it. 

Improper care:
    Leaving it plugged in for long periods of time (this is more about overheating than anything else... which is part of why those battery apps are a bit of a joke)
    Never allowing it to reach 100% can cause an issue called ghosting which is HUGE reason why sometimes batteries will seem fine one day and won't hold a charge the next. If you only charge to 80% and unplug every time, eventually the hardware will think 80% is your max.... and you've just lost 20% of your battery in a snap. 
    Allowing it to grow warm due to environmental factors or charging or both (heat breaks down battery cells, which is indeed a bit self defeating lol)
    Never fully discharging the battery (ghosting issues again - you're making the hardware think your battery has less juice than it actually does)

Core basics there. And now another reason why those partial charge apps don't work: YOU'RE STILL USING%  YOUR BATTERY. You're still wearing out the same amount of battery cells at the same rate that you would if you had a full charge. Only if you're using that app ALL the time, you're also setting yourself up for a future ghosting issue. 

Just take care of your battery, dude. If you're serious about your gaming, you should be serious about taking good care of your hardware, the same as a musician babies their musical instrument. That is what truly defines the professionals from the slackers. If you don't like battery maintenance but want the small form factor, I'm pretty positive there's a mini PC or all-in-one that can do what you need it to do. If not, BUILD ONE. Don't know how to build a computer? It's high time you learned, since you're developing niche tastes in hardware that OEMs can't satisfy. 

I say this all with all due respect. 
  • atonement
    atonement Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    I am done with Acer for this very reason. Using poor quality batteries that lose half their capacity within 2.5 years despite a measly 48 cycle count! Temps. were never an issue. Rarely exceed 30°C. 
  • avja
    avja Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

funny how all the answers don't take any consideration on the different battery types, but considering phones and laptops have been using li-ion for quite some time now, I am going to assume that is what you have.

Imagine your battery like two water balloons (let's call one a positive and the other a negative charge balloon), now, brand new balloons (their elastic rubber) are tight, but if you inflate them they stretch and get looser the longer you hold air in them. now think of the air as the energy stored and one balloon at full capacity, let's call this the positive balloon, with your laptop between the two balloons, the energy is pushed from the positive balloon, through the laptop (giving it the power it needs to operate) and then stored like a negative charge in the negative balloon, and when charging, the negative balloon pushes that energy back into the positive balloon keeping the whole charge in either balloon will significantly weaken that balloon, the longer it stores it, the more it stretches, reducing its capacity to push the power into the other balloon. this is why for the last 5 to 10 year, phone and tablet manufacturers have tried to implement battery saving tools / techniques such as capping charges at 85%, or charging 80% to 90% during night time charges and only allowing the charge to continue at a time before it expects you to disconnect so it will only stretch that battery to 100% for a part of the morning instead of the whole night.

My friend's have other laptop brands and older laptops, they all have the ability to cap their charge at 80% or 85% to help reduce the strain of the battery holding a full charge for extended periods of time..

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,584 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options

Acer Care Center allows capping the battery charge to 80%, at least in my PH315-54.

Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • avja
    avja Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

-Thanks for this XdxD! Your tip off sent me on a little search and dig into my own Nitro 5 laptop.

-There were hints / clues that an Acer Care Centre software / application existed on the device, but not only would it not launch, but I couldn't reinstall, repair, or uninstall it either, not to mention it was nowhere to be seen in the task manager.

-So it looks like care centre goes in to some weird broken / corrupted state when you upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

-After several attempts I managed to uninstall, restart, reinstall, restart, and got it to work.

-I can confirm it does have several very useful tools for battery including battery check, battery calibration, and the most important 80% charge limit function.

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,584 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options

Enjoy @avja 😀

Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!