8 MB of space not allocated in SSD drive on my Predator G9

FredinBroome
FredinBroome Member Posts: 23 Networker
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
My Predator G9 originally came with a 128GB SSD which I replaced with a 512GB NVMe SSD. After reinstalling windows and sundries with the recovery USB, I discovered that there was 8MB unallocated space at the end of the drive. I thought it was an anomally with the new drive but after checking my original SSD it also had 8MB of space unallocated. Does anyone know why this is so?
Cheers

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Could be reserved for bad sectors.
    When any bad sector pops up, windows tends to blacklist that sector and assign one from the reserved list.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • geekromi
    geekromi Member Posts: 144 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    My Predator G9 originally came with a 128GB SSD which I replaced with a 512GB NVMe SSD. After reinstalling windows and sundries with the recovery USB, I discovered that there was 8MB unallocated space at the end of the drive. I thought it was an anomally with the new drive but after checking my original SSD it also had 8MB of space unallocated. Does anyone know why this is so?
    Cheers
    Could you please make a screenshot of your disk management tab showing all partitions?
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    @geekromi
    I attached a screenshot from my earlier windows 10 disk backup. See the 16 MB of unformatted unassigned space? I think this is what he is talking about.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Cheers
    Hi,
    I also have the same unallocated space, I think it may be for Over Provisioning allocated by the OS but it's not enough, if that was the purpose, recommended size for OP is at least 20% of total capacity.

• FredinBroome
    I created an 8mb partition and formatted it but its too small to be of any use so I returned it back to unallocated space. There is no unallocated space on either on my hard disk or on the external drive I created using my original SSD so its a mystery indeed
  • FredinBroome
    Here is my storage setup in my laptop