(Acer Predator G5-793) Few days after repaste CPU temps rise again

Nkfree
Nkfree Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello. I've recently cleaned and repasted my G5-793 after a year of use and the temperatures of cpu exceeding 90°C during gaming. I used coolermaster gel maker with nano particles and cleaned the dust from fans with alcohol. For 3 days the temperatutes topped at 70°C during load (gaming), so I thought I've done everything right. Today the temps started to rise and the cpu is throttling, peaking at 98°C and gpu at 89°C while gaming. Does the paste have to settle? I don't understand why it was okay at first and after 3 days it's even worse than it was before. Could you give me any tips, please? 

Answers

• asad814
    asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited May 2018
    you can undervolt your cpu...this will reduce the tempts...btw what is the room temperature when you game?
  • Nkfree

Tinkerer

edited May 2018
    I already have the 7700HQ undervolted (.110). The room temps are around 26°C. I'm sure this has nothing to do with room temp. It has to be the paste or something inside the laptop. Has anyone experienced anything similar? 98°C while playing Rocket League and No man's sky is insane.

Fans are maxed and coolboost enabled.
  • asad814
    i used thermal grizzly paste and so far i have no issues regarding tempts....and i am also using cooling pad
  • Nkfree

Tinkerer

The truth is I had to travel to another city  and I didn't bring my coolpad along. The coolpad can't make 28°C difference, can it?
  • asad814
    obviously not...i think you have not applied thermal paste correctly...you need to do it again..my suggestion is to use either arctic mx-4 or thermal grizzly kryonaut
  • Nkfree

Tinkerer

I will then try to order grizzly. Thank you. What I don't understand is why it was fine for couple days.
  • asad814
    as you said that you travel to different city..may be the thermal paste leaks out from the heat sink or you have not properly tightened the screws.
  • Nkfree

Tinkerer

I will look at it when I'm back home. Will leave a reply in a week or two whether I managed to solve it. Thanks for your time, I'm glad you reached out to me.
  • Nkfree

Tinkerer

Okay, I bought new paste in the place I currently am and I quick repasted it. I got adviced by the shop assistant to also revert the cpu to default stock - had the 7700HQ undervolted and pushed to always stay on 3.5 on all cores (I mean maxed). I was told it's bad for the cpu to have it maxed all the time, my question now is (if you can answer please), does it hurt the performance, having it at 2.8GHz instead of 3.5? I haven't noticed any difference in Rocket League, nor No man's sky is it because the 0.7 difference is marginal? 
  • asad814
    i dont think its bad for cpu to run at 3.5ghz all the time..thats what its designed for...as for gaming it depends on which game are you playing..if you play AC:origin like games that are cpu hungry then you you see little difference but not that much :)