How to configure switchable graphics on aspire laptops.

Options
zelcon
zelcon Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
i have aspire E5-551G, FX7500 processor, AMD Radeon R7 M265 with 2GB dedicated VRAM. My problem is when i use or run Premiere Pro it does not use the dedicated VRAM it uses the integrated graphics which is 1GB. Same for games as well. This has been ongoing since i purchased my machine. i have the updated drivers installed correctly. i'm running on windows 10 April 2018 update. If we can work this out then it will be greatly appreciated. Please see screenshots.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,631 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    First, I'd like to point out that your discrete graphics seems to be devoting 0.56GB dedicated VRAM to whatever was running at the time. This is 28% of the total 2GB VRAM available. And whatever was running apparently uses only 1GBmax of the total 2GB available VRAM. Your integrated graphics doesn't appear to be using much shared system memory 0.14GB/3.5GB max at the time. Accordingly your discrete graphics and power plans seems to be OK. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    While some usage seems evident in your screenshot, try setting power plan options to performance if you haven't done so already. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zelcon
    Options
    Thank you for helping out. Here is my current power plan.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    First, I'd like to point out that your discrete graphics seems to be devoting 0.56GB dedicated VRAM to whatever was running at the time. This is 28% of the total 2GB VRAM available. And whatever was running apparently uses only 1GBmax of the total 2GB available VRAM. Your integrated graphics doesn't appear to be using much shared system memory 0.14GB/3.5GB max at the time. Accordingly your discrete graphics and power plans seems to be OK. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zelcon
    Options
    That made a lot of sense. Maybe i just got confused when FFXV showed GPU memory as 990MB. So i guess i only have one option left and that's to upgrade RAM to 16GB @ 1600Mhz, well to optimize performance when multitasking.

Thank you :)
  • zelcon
    Options
    Okay so i made some test again by playing FFXV. The dedicated VRAM shown in the task manager is almost the same in the game which is 1GB. So where is the other 1GB? 

• JackE
    Options
    Your first screenshot was also from Task Mgr when it showed 28% VRAM utilization. The game appears to be still using only 1GB max of the 2GB available even though Task Mgr is now showing 79% utilization in the latest screenshot. If you keep watching the percentage box, it probably has a tendency to jump around a lot and sometimes overshoots or undershoots estimated utilization. If you have other games, you will likely see different numbers. If you want more accurate numbers than Task Mgr can provide, there are many freeware CPU and GPU usage monitors that you could try. http://listoffreeware.com/free-gpu-monitoring-software-windows/   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ