Windows Activation

RameshMasilamani
RameshMasilamani Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi My acer laptop crashed and used windows 10 to restore it, now I am asked to activate windows? Any help will be appreciated

Answers

• promindinc
    promindinc Member Posts: 4 New User
    My computer is an Aspire Z3-605.  After my computer is restored to factory default settings, I am not able to activate Windows online.  When I call Microsoft Support, the agent is not able to locate the Installation ID nor the Product Key.  He asks me to contact Acer to get the information before he can proceed.  What can I do next?     
  • promindinc
    BTW my compute is with Windows 8.1
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    My computer is an Aspire Z3-605.  After my computer is restored to factory default settings, I am not able to activate Windows online.  When I call Microsoft Support, the agent is not able to locate the Installation ID nor the Product Key.  He asks me to contact Acer to get the information before he can proceed.  What can I do next?     
    Hi,
    You can contact the Acer support centre in your region and explain the problem.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
  • promindinc

I tried to call.  Because of out of warranty, I was routed to Third Party support.  I was asked to pay for the support (CAD $99). 

It does not make sense to me since the recovery should work without any issue.  Is there any other solution to recover the PC?

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer

I tried to call.  Because of out of warranty, I was routed to Third Party support.  I was asked to pay for the support (CAD $99). 

It does not make sense to me since the recovery should work without any issue.  Is there any other solution to recover the PC?

Hi,
    Sorry, I have run out of ideas but please wait for someone else to help you.
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Contact Acer by email.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

OK - first if it came with Windows 8.1 then you cannot upgrade to Windows 10 without a license. These are under $100. To restore to Windows 8.1 that may activate automatically using the key in the BIOS. A third party product such a PRODUKEY from NIRSOFT can retrieve that key if present.

Finally you can try opening a DOS (CMD) box and enter "slui 4". Follow the instructions but again may only work for 8.1.

• Akaa
    Akaa Member Posts: 1 New User
    How can I reinstall my computer and have the activation keys installed as well?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    If your computer came originally with Windows 8 or later then a reinstall will activate for you once you connect to the internet and select activate in Settings. No need for new keys.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Install the original windows version that came with the laptop - if it came with windows 8, install windows 8 and not 8.1. Upgrade to 8.1 post installation of 8.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045