ACER XB252Q 240Hz G-Sync - Strange hiss/interference from 3.5mm headphone jack?

Modwar
Modwar Member Posts: 7 New User
edited February 14 in 2018 Archives
Hello everyone!

So here's the story, 
Yesterday I received my brand new ACER XB252Q 240Hz G-sync ready monitor. No backlight bleed, dead pixels all good!
However when plugging my headset into the monitor's 3.5mm jack I notice some kind of constaint low hiss/static interference. 
It is however completely drawn out when playing games/music as it is not really loud but is noticeable when no sound is being played.
I have tried various things like changing the DP cable, Refreshrate, different headphones all with no effect.
At this point im suspecting it to be interference from the G-sync module being to close to the headphone jack

Does anyone else have this issue aswell?

Answers

• raffy
    raffy Member Posts: 3 New User
    I just purchased an XB27HU (1440p/144Hz G-Sync) and I also get audio hiss through the line-out using either DP or HDMI audio.

I'm about to return my display to Amazon.
  • Modwar
    It seems to be a universal problem with all displays, I returned the unit just recently only to get one back with 2 dead pixles, backlight bleeding, and with the exact same audio problem, managed to get lucky to return it for the old one as normally you can't return it if you have 2 dead pixels.
    Just got it back yesterday and im planning to keep it that way. So its normal, its caused because the jack has been placed to close to the DP/HDMI and the G-SYNC module, causing the static to occur. So technically it isn't a defect, its a design flaw.

I would keep the monitor if the only problem is the audio jack.
    but the choice is yours at the end of the day :)
  • raffy
    Does the hiss go away when you turn off G-Sync? 

From my testing, it didn't, but I still need to a series of isolated tests to make sure there isn't something I'm overlooking.  I was also lucky with dead pixels and backlight bleed and would prefer if I could keep this current monitor.

I also get an audio pop when I turn on the display — even with the line-in connected to an amplifier that can compensate for live-plug changes.
  • Modwar
    Yes what you are describing is the exact same thing im experiencing with my XB252Q
    and turning g-sync off has no effect here either, same as turning the display down to 60hz, different DP cables, turning brightness down etc.
    and the loud poping noise is the same with my monitor, the noise can be heard when the display is turned on/off and might be the power running through. one solution i have been thinking of is getting something thats called a ground loop isolator. it basically grounds your audio connection and kills any hiss/interference. 

But as I said before if I where you i wouldn't trade the monitor in. you dont want to experience what I had when I returned mine
    As said i had one returned with dead pixels/bad backlight bleeding + to get the old one back I had to pay shipping costs.
    a bad experience especially if it doesnt have any dead pixles/backlight bleeding, because thats winning the TN panel lottery.
  • raffy
    Ah interesting.

I've tested the ground loop idea by powering my computer and display off my UPS with no success.

My current temporary solution is muting the display, using line-out from my PC for audio instead of DP, getting an HDMI audio extractor, and then using my stereo to mix the two audio signals together. 
  • Modwar
    What I find interesting and suprising is that the XB27HU (the model you have) has the exact same sound problem with the line-out
    as my XB252Q the one I own, its something I didn't expect at all

Pretty suprising and interesting at the same time
  • Modwar
    Just ordered a AUX3.5mm ground loop isolator to see if it might diffuse the static/electrical noise.
    I'll post my results here once ive tested it.
  • vishnuki94
    vishnuki94 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Modwar said:
    Just ordered a AUX3.5mm ground loop isolator to see if it might diffuse the static/electrical noise.
    I'll post my results here once ive tested it.
    Hi mate, how did you go with this? I've got the exact same issue with my monitor.