E5-574G-569p Screen doesn't turn back on after screen timeout on leaving laptop idle.

Options
imran52
imran52 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I have problem with my laptop and it is getting annoying day by day. Laptop model is E5-574G-569p with windows 10 home single language preinstalled.
The problem is that sometimes when I am working on laptop and I have to leave my laptop for several minutes (lets say I got call on my cellphone and busy there), the screen goes off after timeout (as it is supposed to do as per power saving settings). When I try to wake up the screen it doesn't turn on by any key press or mouse usage. There are two lights one for charging and the other one has brightness (circle ) sign which has blue color when laptop is on and it blinks with dark orange color when laptop is in sleep mode. In this case, that light remains blue which means that laptop is not in sleep mode. I do not know if laptop hangs or in what condition because screen never turns on until I power off. The only solution would be to press and hold power key until all the power is off and restart the laptop.  This problem doesn't occur all of times, it occurred very rarely at start -like once in a month now its frequency is increasing. Like today I have to restart 4-5 time within hour because I had to leave laptop multiple times, for very little duration (let's say 5-10 minutes) and when I come back screen is black and it is not responding.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    Open Control Panel. Search fast startup. Disable it. Reboot. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• imran52

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Open Control Panel. Search fast startup. Disable it. Reboot. Jack E/NJ 
    Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately doing that didn't solve my problem. I am still facing that problem. I even reinstalled (clean installation by formating windows partition) windows last week. There is no major hardware change in my laptop after I bought it. I only upgraded RAM from 4gb to 8gb otherwise everything is in original condition.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>When I try to wake up the screen it doesn't turn on by any key press or mouse usage. >>>

Does the screen respond to the Fn+F6 or Fn+F5 toggle screen hotkey combos when this happens? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,
    Try these to wakeup the unit from mouse. 
    1. To start, go to Control Panel and click on Mouse. ...
    2. In the second Properties window for your mouse, click on the Change Settings button on the General tab.
    3. Finally, click the Power Management tab and uncheck the Allow This Device to Wake the Computer box.
    Image result for wake up from sleep mouse
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • imran52

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>When I try to wake up the screen it doesn't turn on by any key press or mouse usage. >>>

Does the screen respond to the Fn+F6 or Fn+F5 toggle screen hotkey combos when this happens? Jack E/NJ
    I will check this as soon as I go through this problem again.
  • imran52

Tinkerer

Options
    christy1 said:

Hi,
    Try these to wakeup the unit from mouse. 
    1. To start, go to Control Panel and click on Mouse. ...
    2. In the second Properties window for your mouse, click on the Change Settings button on the General tab.
    3. Finally, click the Power Management tab and uncheck the Allow This Device to Wake the Computer box.
    Image result for wake up from sleep mouse
    I tried to do this but there is no Power Management tab in HID-compliant mouse properties.
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    imran52 said:
    I tried to do this but there is no Power Management tab in HID-compliant mouse properties.

Hi Imran,
    Try to do the same for the keyboard.it might help...
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • imran52

Tinkerer

Options
    I tried everything mentioned here, but nothing works. Feeling really annoyed, don't know what to do. I am now suspecting that it might be a hardware problem.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I have problem with my laptop and it is getting annoying day by day. Laptop model is E5-574G-569p with windows 10 home single language preinstalled.>>>I even reinstalled (clean installation by formating windows partition) windows last week. >>>

(1) Who pre-installed Win10, the factory or the vendor? (2) Was it an ACER-specific Win10 or Microsoft-generic Win10 pre-installation (3) How did you clean install Win10, from ACER-specific Win10 media or from the ACER hidden recovery partition or from Microsoft's generic Win10 media creation tool? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• imran52

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>I have problem with my laptop and it is getting annoying day by day. Laptop model is E5-574G-569p with windows 10 home single language preinstalled.>>>I even reinstalled (clean installation by formating windows partition) windows last week. >>>

(1) Who pre-installed Win10, the factory or the vendor? (2) Was it an ACER-specific Win10 or Microsoft-generic Win10 pre-installation (3) How did you clean install Win10, from ACER-specific Win10 media or from the ACER hidden recovery partition or from Microsoft's generic Win10 media creation tool? Jack E/NJ
    1. I have no idea. When laptop was started first time, it showed the setup like when you run windows for first time after installation and user information was asked.
    2. I think it was acer-specific. After multiple installations of windows it still shows acer logo as windows logo when I boot up the system. And also it came with acer soft wares pre-installed.
    3. I downloaded windows 10 latest iso from microsoft website. Had to prepare installation USB using Rufus (small utility available online) because the USB won't boot if I prepared it using Microsoft's own win 10 media creation tool. (Microsoft's utility creates Legacy boot USB, Whereas Rufus create UEFI boot, I have no idea what that means but that is how I figured out the problem)
  • JackE
    Options
    If it came preinstalled with factory ACER-specific Win10, there should be a hidden ACER Win10 recovery partition on the HDD. If your generic Win10 installation didn't wipe it out, you can access this hidden partition and re-set the machine to a factory-fresh state. This should either rule in or rule out a hardware issue but I doubt it's a hardware issue . If you want to try it, shut the machine completely off. Then turn it on again and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear. Follow directions to re-set as in the video below. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• imran52

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    If it came preinstalled with factory ACER-specific Win10, there should be a hidden ACER Win10 recovery partition on the HDD. If your generic Win10 installation didn't wipe it out, you can access this hidden partition and re-set the machine to a factory-fresh state. This should either rule in or rule out a hardware issue but I doubt it's a hardware issue . If you want to try it, shut the machine completely off. Then turn it on again and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear. Follow directions to re-set as in the video below. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

If there is windows recovery partition, shouldn't its size be in GBs? As you can see here  that there are recovery partitions but their sizes are in MBs. Anyway, thank you I will try this factory reset. I would try it on different hard drive. because I don't want to move /backup my data as it is lengthy process. And I also highly doubt its a hardware problem.
  • JackE
    Options
    The 500MB recovery partition on the end is the right size. Give the ALT+F10 coldboot recovery method a try. But I'd recommend backing up your system as is before doing this. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• imran52

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    The 500MB recovery partition on the end is the right size. Give the ALT+F10 coldboot recovery method a try. But I'd recommend backing up your system as is before doing this. Jack E/NJ
    After more than three years,

I have clean installed windows by formatting everything and repartitioning. I even replaced the hard disk (upgraded to SSD sometime in 2019) but the problem still exists. The most recent clean installation was last night. I deleted all the partitions of the SSD and let installation automatically repartition and format drive. The problem is still there. The only workaround is disable sleep and timeout when I am using the laptop.

I assume it is not related to software.
  • JackE
    Options
    Press WIN+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. In the right pane, which BIOS version number is shown?

Jack E/NJ

• imran52

Tinkerer

Options
    Its V1.18.

• JackE
    Options
    >>>I assume it is not related to software. >>>

Sorry. Not a good assumption. Going back thru this 3-year old thread, It's not clear to me that an ALT+F10 erase-everything cold-boot OEM Win10 reset was ever done on this machine to try to correct the issue.  The ACER OEM factory Win10 version on the compacted hidden recovery partition is not same as the Microsoft generic Win10 version. It interacts differently with the software drivers. Unfortunately, the hidden partition is often inaccessible after a generic Win10 installation. At this point, I can only suggest downloading and running iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it can pick up any new software drivers online the might change the situation.

Jack E/NJ

• imran52

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>I assume it is not related to software. >>>

Sorry. Not a good assumption. Going back thru this 3-year old thread, It's not clear to me that an ALT+F10 erase-everything cold-boot OEM Win10 reset was ever done on this machine to try to correct the issue.  The ACER OEM factory Win10 version on the compacted hidden recovery partition is not same as the Microsoft generic Win10 version. It interacts differently with the software drivers. Unfortunately, the hidden partition is often inaccessible after a generic Win10 installation. At this point, I can only suggest downloading and running iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it can pick up any new software drivers online the might change the situation.
    I tried ALT+F10 but it didn't work probably because I replaced the HDD and reapportioned several times since then. 
    DriverBooster is showing lots of updates but not sure if I should buy it or not since there is a limit on free version.

Yesterday I updated some outdated drivers including, Audio, AHCI, Chipset, IO, NVidia (downloaded from Acer official website by providing SNID) and since then it is getting more problematic. Literally every time there is a screen timeout, it does not come back I have to press and hold power to turn off and then turn on again.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Literally every time there is a screen timeout,>>>

This is a notorious problem with Windows power plans and power button app on many laptops. They're still buggy apps especially in the generic installations. I suggest that you change the power plan idle timeouts to never especially plugged in and the power button app lid closure setting to 'do nothing' and 'turn off display' instead of sleep for the other settings.

Jack E/NJ