acer switch 5 - blue screens, blue screens, blue screens - what to do?

step8601
step8601 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
just bought new acer switch 5

i have been using various acer laptops for years, love my spin 5 and others

but....the switch 5....hmmm

i have only a few things installed, but i get blue screens like every day

i tried to find solutions on the web, but nothing works, i did all windows updates, drivers, the works, but this has been blue-screening from day one, it seems that this really can't much of a load even though i have i think the best hardware config

any ideas? i don't want to return this, but it's not looking good so far

thanks

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hi,
    We can try to do a factory reset. if it still having a prob then it can be a hardware issue.

Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • step8601
    edited May 2018
    how would you do factory reset? do you mean that i'd have to mail the puter to you? i've already done a windows reset about 2-3 times in the last week
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hi,
    If you have done the reset already then it should be a hardware related prob. As you asked these are the steps to do a reset.
    1. Press and hold the Power key for 5 seconds to power the system off completely.
    2. Press the Power key to turn on the computer.
    3. Press the Alt and F10 keys at the same time when the Acer logo appears on the screen. Your system should boot to a blue screen that says Choose an option.
    4. Select Troubleshoot.
    5. Click Reset your PC. This process will erase all data on the your system. Choose the Refresh your PC option if you want to restore your system and retain your data.
    6. Click Next, then select Just remove my files.
    7. Click Reset to begin the recovery.
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • step8601
    i did that several times, delete my files, etc, totally clean reset

what now? i just bought this switch 5 off of amazon about two weeks ago

i'd love to feel confidence in this machine, i've had so many acers over, geez, well over ten years i'd say, i keep coming back to them, i'm typing this reply on my spin 5 (like this more than i thought i would)

let me know, thanks
  • HumourMe2
    HumourMe2 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Have you seen this thread? https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/543618/switch-5-sw512-52-windows-10-update-1803-issues I'm still not on 1803 ...was just starting to look around to see if it is safe for the switch 5 yet ...
  • step8601
    haven't seen that, thanks

i'll have to check my versions of things, but i did all updates per the win update system

i'm concerned that i'll run out of time to return it and end up with a thousand dollar paper weight
  • step8601
    for the recovery process mentioned above, i had to use F8, not F10, hth
  • Zackblack
    Zackblack Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, I have a temporary solution while you wait for graphic update by "ACER", Intel has already updated driver but for Acer it is customized hence require acer to do the job. You could tune down your graphic card performance to maximize battery life, and instead of setting it to follow application settings, set it to follow driver default. 
  • step8601

Zackblack said:
    Hi, I have a temporary solution while you wait for graphic update by "ACER", Intel has already updated driver but for Acer it is customized hence require acer to do the job. You could tune down your graphic card performance to maximize battery life, and instead of setting it to follow application settings, set it to follow driver default. 
    do you mean that the puter would need to be returned (again) to acer tech to do the intel update? it can't be downloaded by me?

thanks
  • Schwartz
    Schwartz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Download the Intel SSD Toolbox ;https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28309 and update the Intel SSD NVMe firmware.

Our Predator model uses the INTEL SSDPEKKW256G8 (aka Intel SSD 760p Series), the new firmware from September/2018 revision 004C notes "Fixed PS4 power state transition issue causing system BSOD or system hang" and "Fixed intermittent system hang caused by pin base interrup issue with shared resource".

Problem description:
    Every 10mins-6hours the system hangs, throw a BSOD DPC_Watchdog_Violation, reboot and interrupt the boot with "NO BOOTABLE DEVICE" screen. Manual power cycle restarts the system successfully.

Mini-blog:
    In November 15, 2018 I've got a new Predator PH315-51 but it suffer from BSODs (DPC Watchdog violation) all the time, I return the product.
    I bought a new one at Black Friday, received it November 28, 2018, same problem. I was about to return it when I learned about this firmware and updated, looks like it fixed the problem. (at least in the last few hours I'm finally running stable).

Hope it helps, good luck.
    ---
    (... if I get any other BSDO, I will return this product as defective ...)
    (... also, both Predator PH315-51, the built-in webcam (aka USB Boot Camera) didn't work in Win10 ...)