Spin 1 SP111-32N m.2 SSD slot usable?

Options
tomgadgets
tomgadgets Member Posts: 6 New User
It seems like the SP111-32N Spin 1 has a 2280 m.2 SSD slot. Can anyone confirm that it is usable?

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/18578-acer-spin-1-review/
https://www.ultrabookreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/internals.jpg

The SP111-31 version of the Spin 1 has a usable m.2 SSD, I wonder if the 32N version can also accept an m.2, if so, is it SATA or PCIE?

Thanks for responding!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    The slot ***should*** be compatible with both but more likely with a plain-vanilla SATA card. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tomgadgets
    tomgadgets Member Posts: 6 New User
    edited May 2018
    Options
    False alarm... opened my Spin 1 and found out that the slot is NOT usable. It is there but the M.2 connector is not soldered on, sigh... However did a benchmark of the eMMC and realized it is not too slow, 110MB write / 290MB read, good enough for my use case.

I guess the review unit must be an early engineering build with the socket soldered on. Later units cost down saw the connector dissapeared.
  • JackE
    Options
    Mainboard probably used in other models as well. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• raisig
    raisig Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Jack, I have a SP111-32N with 128GB. Unfortunately on my MB don't put a connector and other smd element for m.2 ssd slot. Did you have a electrical diagram or specification of them. My next question is who is a maker of connector or type to try to find it. Thanks a lot in advance.
  • JackE
    Options
    DigiKey, Allied & Mouser Electronics are sources for such m.2 connector sockets. However, there are no assurances that soldering such a connector to the empty socket space will be supported by the BIOS chip or other mainboard components such as bus traces needed to the CPU. Furthermore, there is possibility for damaging the mainboard due to the many incredibly small closely-spaced individual pins (see below ) that must soldered without overlap. If it was my machine, I would not attempt such a task due to the high risk of destroying the mainboard. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• raisig
    Options
    Hi JackE thank you for you replay, but i wont to ask about a missing element. 
    With red arrow i mark some of them because i don't remove my MB and maybe on opposite side posable to have others.

Another question it is about connector. I checking connector from you post and see that they have a pins in front side and back side. On next picture it is from MB without a connector. 

How you can see maybe a connector must to have pins on downside. So if you have some service manual or electrical diagram or some other documentation to find a element i will thankful to send me.

• JackE
    Options
    Sorry, we don't have access to detailed placement or description of most small circuit elements soldered to mainboards. Such detailed mainboard descriptions may be google searchable by you if you can find and reference specific part numbers that may be imprinted on your specific mainboard & its circuit elements. The general and ACER part numbers for the mainboard are HQ31604347000 &  NB.GRM11.004 .  We are not ACER technical service employees on this ACER users forum.  Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• raisig
    Options
    OK JackE thanks a lot for you attention.  =)=)=)
  • acephyo
    acephyo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Anyone did it ? I would like to add M.2 socket to my acer spin 1 sp111-32n because my eMMC is died out . Anyone advice me which one should I get to get M.2 socket and can I just soldered on? is there any precaution I have to take?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

The chances are very good that just putting a socket there won't work to give you a functional M.2 slot. There are other supporting devices that have to be installed as well. Perhaps you can look on the secondary market for a replacement motherboard, or have the eMMC chip replaced.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.