Predator 17 G9-793-78CM screen pitch black when turned on

Options
ToxicChibi
ToxicChibi Member Posts: 1 New User
edited May 2018 in Predator Laptops
So, today I tried to turn on my laptop and everything except the screen turned on. The screen is just pitch black. Anyone know what to do?

Answers

• Wizlert
    Wizlert Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Same is happening here, screen went completely black but keyboard light seem to work fine. I was also able to see the screen on a second display port when i connected one but ever since trying to update the video drivers it hasn't worked.
     Will like to get help here or a response from acer as it seems to be happening to a lot of us since yesterday.

• Roland_Lorinczi
    Roland_Lorinczi Member Posts: 126 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi @ToxicChibi a temporary fix might be to press the button at the bottom of the pinhole on the back of the laptop:

It's just a temporary fix though. Ironically enough I got a black screen just as I was typing this up for you.
    Come on over to the main thread where we're gathering, discussing the issue and waiting for the update from Acer on the issue. We're mostlu Helios 300 owners, PH315-51, PH317-52, some with i7 7700HQ, most with the new i7 8750H and some with i5 versions...So I guess just check in and see if anything there helps your case or if you find something that helps you, please share - it might work for our laptop model as well. Thanks in advance!
    Link to the thread: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/544466/predator-helios-300-showing-black-screen-after-one-hour-of-web-surfing/p1

⚠️ If you're affected by the System Hang/ Black Screen issue:

Official Fix Announced by Acer_Manny
    Instructions for FIX

Currently owned Acer systems:
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) - Same specs and issues as above 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    Roland_Lorinczi Member Posts: 126 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Not sure our black screen issue is screen only though - haven't tested external monitor boot - could be a totally different issue but still doesn't hurt to check it out, they sound somewhat similar...could be the same and you may have just assumed it works and only the screen is off (or we may have assumed it's not just a screen issue...) we'll see I guess...
    ⚠️ If you're affected by the System Hang/ Black Screen issue:

Official Fix Announced by Acer_Manny
    Instructions for FIX

Currently owned Acer systems:
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) - Same specs and issues as above 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hello ,

I'm sorry that you're having issues with your Predator 17 G9-793.  Can you please send me a PM with the S/N of your unit so I can look into this for you?

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Not sure our black screen issue is screen only though - haven't tested external monitor boot - could be a totally different issue but still doesn't hurt to check it out, they sound somewhat similar...could be the same and you may have just assumed it works and only the screen is off (or we may have assumed it's not just a screen issue...) we'll see I guess...
    @Roland_Lorinczi

In my setup, I use external monitor 100% of the time. Yet... during boot, it turns on the laptop screen for a few seconds and then transfers control to external monitor for the login screen. So the screen blank issue shouldn't matter, whether you use laptop screen or external monitor.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Angel_Red
    Angel_Red Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    I am having the exact same issue on my G9-793-70DL. Screen was fine on Thursday when I powered it up, but when I turned it back on Saturday, nothing on the screen. I can see backlighting, just nothing shows up on the screen. Tried battery reset suggested above, no joy. 

Annoying, as I bought this laptop back in Dec.
  • sri369
    Options
    @Angel_Red If and when you get the screen on and get into windows, go to power settings and disable "fast startup" option.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Angel_Red

Tinkerer

Options
    sri369 said:
    @Angel_Red If and when you get the screen on and get into windows, go to power settings and disable "fast startup" option.
    Half a dozen hard restarts and battery resets, no screen. Already PM'd Manny.
  • sri369
    Options
    Did you try long press power to force shut down?
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Angel_Red

Tinkerer

edited July 2018
    Options
    sri369 said:
    Did you try long press power to force shut down?
    Yes, that would be the hard restart I tried. :)
  • Angel_Red

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    Options
    sri369 said:
    If only I could get that far.
    Finally made it home and pulled the HDMI from my console. I'm seeing the Predator loading screen, then error screen that system didn't start properly so it tried to self-repair.
    That didn't work, tried resetting with and without files, going back to the previous version, repair from the menu didn't work.
    System Restore shows me 2 restore points, 1 from last month, and 1 from  7/19. Neither will allow me to select the C: drive to restore in the 'Confirm disks to restore' dialog. Cannot select the check box next to the drive. 

Odd, in DOS my system drive is labeled as X: but in one of the tools I tried it was labeled as C:

At least I'm one step closer.
  • sri369
    Options
    Angel_Red said:
    sri369 said:
    If only I could get that far.
    Finally made it home and pulled the HDMI from my console. I'm seeing the Predator loading screen, then error screen that system didn't start properly so it tried to self-repair.
    That didn't work, tried resetting with and without files, going back to the previous version, repair from the menu didn't work.
    System Restore shows me 2 restore points, 1 from last month, and 1 from  7/19. Neither will allow me to select the C: drive to restore in the 'Confirm disks to restore' dialog. Cannot select the check box next to the drive. 

Odd, in DOS my system drive is labeled as X: but in one of the tools I tried it was labeled as C:

At least I'm one step closer.
    Try booting up via a Windows 10 bootable media, and try repairing. I am thinking your windows got corrupted or something on lines on that.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Angel_Red

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    Options
    There's a QR code that comes up on the screen after failed restart, it doesn't show a error code but it does list CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
  • sri369
    Options
    Angel_Red said:
    There's a QR code that comes up on the screen after failed restart, it doesn't show a error code but it does list CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
    That QR also would have some digit based code... like I said it could point to a corrupt windows installation. Try booting up with windows media and allow it to repair that. Hopefully that should resolve the issue for you. If it still doesn't it could also point to some device failure (but cannot say this for sure with my limited knowledge).
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Angel_Red

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    Options
    sri369 said:
    That QR also would have some digit based code... like I said it could point to a corrupt windows installation. Try booting up with windows media and allow it to repair that. Hopefully that should resolve the issue for you. If it still doesn't it could also point to some device failure (but cannot say this for sure with my limited knowledge).
    It did not show any digit-based error code. Unless MS happens to have a QR scanner that will give it to me, it only shows a link to MS's troubleshooting page.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    Hey guys I had a similar issue with my G9-793 it would happen mostly when I let my laptop sit for a while it wouldn't (screen) turn back on.
    Updated to BIOs version 1.13 and it fixed.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Angel_Red

Tinkerer

Options

Hello ,

I'm sorry that you're having issues with your Predator 17 G9-793.  Can you please send me a PM with the S/N of your unit so I can look into this for you?

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

Hi Manny, I PM'd you as well.  :)

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options
    Hi Angel_Red,

Sorry for the delay response, if you have tried already the power reset then i can recommend trying the Reset/restore to factory settings with Alt+F10, also make sure you have updated to the latest BIOS version 1.14.

If the issue persist, please contact our support line for better assistance:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny 
  • Angel_Red

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi Angel_Red,

Sorry for the delay response, if you have tried already the power reset then i can recommend trying the Reset/restore to factory settings with Alt+F10, also make sure you have updated to the latest BIOS version 1.14.

If the issue persist, please contact our support line for better assistance:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny 
    Hi Manny,

Looks like my PM might not have gone through to you when I sent it last week, I think my browser had a hiccup. :/

I tried the power reset, hooked up to my TV with an HDMI as was at least able to see my screen, it tried the automatic repair, then I tried all the available reset, recovery, restore, revert options available in the Advanced menu, but all the options there either fail or cannot progress.

I have downloaded the v1.14 BIOS update, but as yet cannot use the exe file.

It appears that the Alt+F10 gets me to the Advanced menu and resetting fails when restarting. :(

Looks like I'll be contacting CS. Thanks for trying Manny.

~Red
  • Angel_Red

Tinkerer

Options
    Whelp, chatted with CS and ended up having to re-install Win10 just to be able to get back into Windows. Still no screen though.
    Updated the BIOS to v1.14 and disabled Fast Startup and that didn't help.
    When I go to device properties, it sees my TV and lists it properly (for monitor 2) but for my laptop screen it lists bare minimum of details. It's like the it sees that there is a screen there but can't ID it, not sure if it's even loading drivers for it.

Looks like I'll be contacting CS again tomorrow, done fighting with it for now.