why is my Acer Aspire computer switching itself off

Options
Christopher60
Christopher60 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I owned an Acer computer some years ago and was happy with it. On 23/3/2018, I purchased another Acer computer. After a couple of days, the computer switched itself for no reason at all. I had changed the 'windows update installation' feature to ask me before any updates could be installed, so I know this is not the cause. Having the same problem persist for approximately 30% of the time, I contacted your 'service helpline' in South Africa and spoke with 'Hank' on 26/4/2018. On attempting to 'reset' the computer from 'Hank's' instructions, the computer switched itself off after 15 minutes of what Hank said would take an hour. I persisted with the computer hoping the matter would resolve itself, however, it continued to switch itself off, again, 30% of the days I used it. On Thursday 10/5/2018, having contacted the retailer I purchased the computer from, I changed the computer for an exact model. Today at 11.00 hours, the 'new' computer switched itself off for no reason at all. I am hoping Acer will sort out what my issue is, otherwise, I will have no hesitation in returning the computer for a completely different make and model. I have worked on computers for 40 years, so I regard myself as quite computer literate. What will Acer do to help me with my problem?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    Some models have experienced random shutdowns and restarts due to apparent activation of a safety switch by a case or keyboard misalignment when the laptop is being used or otherwise moved. If it were my second time around with another new machine, I would also return it to the vendor ASAP for a refund or some other laptop model with similar features. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Christopher60
    Christopher60 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I thank you for your input and advice Jack. It is really appreciated. I will make the calls on Monday and will change the laptop. Thank you.