Acer Aspire ES1-132-c974 Changing default drive?

ZeroZero
ZeroZero Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi all. I really like my Acer Aspire 132. However the 30 gig hard drive is getting too small and wont load windows updates. So, I got hold of a Samsung SSD and fitted it in (succesfully). I then used Samsung's Data Migration tool to clone the whole of my C drive to E. I then went into the bios and changed the boot priority to E. However I still think that my laptop is booting from the C drive which is weird. 
Can anyone tell me how to solve this? I would rather not open the laptop again and disable the original system drive.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,438 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    I would suggest you to use Minitool Partition wizard to migrate your OS to the new drive, download and install Minitool Partition Wizard free, run it as Admin and use Migrate feature to transfer your OS to the new drive.
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html
  • ZeroZero
    ZeroZero Member Posts: 5 New User
    Thank you Brummy fan, but I have already transferred the files (cloned them), the problem is with getting the Acer Aspire to actually use the new system image on the new disk. The Minipartition tool states that you should go into the bios and set boot priority to the new disk - I have also done this but it is still using the old drive. Something is forcing the Acer to use the older drive and I dare not wipe it until the other one is working. Maybe it is boot manager? I am not sure
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,438 Trailblazer
    ZeroZero said:
    Thank you Brummy fan, but I have already transferred the files (cloned them), the problem is with getting the Acer Aspire to actually use the new system image on the new disk. The Minipartition tool states that you should go into the bios and set boot priority to the new disk - I have also done this but it is still using the old drive. Something is forcing the Acer to use the older drive and I dare not wipe it until the other one is working. Maybe it is boot manager? I am not sure
    Yes, you still have the OS in the old drive, I am not a fan of Samsung Data Migration tool, it may not have transferred properly, you can do the migration again as long as you have the original disk in it's original state.
  • Tmzdroid
    Tmzdroid Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Strange I did the same mod a while back using the Samsung tool to copy data from the 32gb emmc to ssd then set boot priority in bios  my ssd is now the C drive and emmc D drive. Does it boot from the SSD?
  • Tmzdroid
    Tmzdroid Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Is the ssd showing up in disk management? Mine looks like this.
  • v12nut
    v12nut Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Hi all, I also am having an issue with the ssd I installed. I have migrated the os with Minitool the partitions look fine on the ssd but it will not boot, any ideas what to do now?

• Marsipulani
    Marsipulani Member Posts: 1 New User
    @ZeroZero - where you able to find the resolution for this problem? I am struggling with the same and not finding the solution.
    Thanks in advance