My Helios 300 is lagging in games it shouldn't

Frito
Frito Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
My laptop has been lagging in games such as Farcry 3, Skyrim special edition,H1z1 and others when my older pc could run most of those titles flawlessly the issue proceeds even with my charger plugged in if any one knows a fix please help
specs:GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700HQ (2.80 GHz)16 GB Memory 1 TB HDD 128 GB SSD

Answers

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Rollback the NVidia graphics driver to 390.77 or 391.04 a few members have documented similar issues.  My own G9-793 is on 390.77 with no issues.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Q-6
  • Cinix
    Cinix Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Same problem here, should hit 80 in bf1 and it's only hitting 50 fps. Will test the driver and post result this evening.
  • Cinix
    No result, fps is still low.
  • Queen6
    edited May 2018
    What's the CPU & GPU temperature under load, HWinfo 64 is a good tool to indicate multiple system values.

Q-6
  • Cinix
    Queen6 said:
    What's the CPU & GPU temperature under load, HWinfo 64 is a good tool to indicate multiple system values.

Q-6
    Just played a game and these are the results.

• Cinix
    In short, CPU temps between 75 - 82, GPU temps 75 steady. Only weird thing i'm finding is PROCHOT being triggered all the time. I'm no expert though :)
  • Queen6
    Can you upload as a screen capture

Q-6
  • Cinix
    Queen6 said:
    Can you upload as a screen capture

Q-6
    GPU dissapeared after the game closed will do another run to have that aswell
  • Cinix

There you go. Thanks for reading what I'm posting btw :P
  • Queen6
    Don't see anything wildly out of range.  Read some recent posts regarding the NVidia GPU not being present, seemed to be related to a BIOS update, which may also tie into PROCHOT (Processor Hot), equally max Core Temp is 81C which is well below T-junction.  I also se that Max Turbo Limit is flagged, are you running Intel XTU or ThrottleStop? 

Q-6
  • Cinix
    First one was from PUBG where the fps drops are there but not extreme. This one is from BF1 where it drops to 20 fps sometimes
  • Cinix
    edited May 2018
    And on top of that. Laptop also freezes for half a second when opening chrome or other programs.
    This is so frustrating since my 6 year old laptop with an HD7970m performs better in BF1... well in general actually
  • Cinix
    Queen6 said:
    Don't see anything wildly out of range.  Read some recent posts regarding the NVidia GPU not being present, seemed to be related to a BIOS update, which may also tie into PROCHOT (Processor Hot), equally max Core Temp is 81C which is well below T-junction.  I also se that Max Turbo Limit is flagged, are you running Intel XTU or ThrottleStop? 

Q-6
    Nope neither of those. The gpu just pops back when it's in use.
  • Queen6
    Of course, you have NVidia Optimus with both Intel & NVidia GPU's, Predator 17 only has the GTX 1070.

Q-6
  • Queen6
    Try setting the Windows power plan back to the default values (use the advanced settings from the old Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options - Change Plan Settings) and do a full shutdown (hold down shift key).  The freezing may be related to the GPU's switching, others have discussed similar stalling/freezing issues with the GUI.  The computer is literally swapping hardware to accommodate applications, you can fine tune this in the NVidia Control panel by defaulting which GPU (intel / NVidia) deals with a specific application.

Q-6
  • Cinix
    Queen6 said:
    Try setting the Windows power plan back to the default values (use the advanced settings from the old Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options - Change Plan Settings) and do a full shutdown (hold down shift key).  The freezing may be related to the GPU's switching, others have discussed similar stalling/freezing issues with the GUI.  The computer is literally swapping hardware to accommodate applications, you can fine tune this in the NVidia Control panel by defaulting which GPU (intel / NVidia) deals with a specific application.

Q-6
    That's just a small problem, the thing that furstrates me is that it isn't getting the fps it should. i'm seeing people with the exacte same laptop playing bf1 on 70+ fps easy while i'm here dropping to even 25. I mean, a HD7970 beats this laptop, how?
  • Queen6
    Problem is there's so many parameters when PC's don't play nicely.  Anything else running in the background that's consuming CPU / GPU cycles?  Personally I'd be inclined to backup the system (with the Windows 7 Restore Image), then reset the system with Acer's restore and see how BF1 performs. Then you can either revert to the backup image or rebuild the system from the Aver original. 

I really hate to say to reload the system, problem is understanding the root cause, it's not like the dGPU is being massively stressed, or the CPU for that matter.  Likely a software issue, this a very new computer, should be flying...

Might be worth looking at the BIOS revision and see if any performance updates are available.  Just be mindful to follow the instructions explicitly, if in doubt stop and don't flash the BIOS.

Q-6 
  • Cinix
    Queen6 said:
    Problem is there's so many parameters when PC's don't play nicely.  Anything else running in the background that's consuming CPU / GPU cycles?  Personally I'd be inclined to backup the system (with the Windows 7 Restore Image), then reset the system with Acer's restore and see how BF1 performs. Then you can either revert to the backup image or rebuild the system from the Aver original. 

I really hate to say to reload the system, problem is understanding the root cause, it's not like the dGPU is being massively stressed, or the CPU for that matter.  Likely a software issue, this a very new computer, should be flying...

Might be worth looking at the BIOS revision and see if any performance updates are available.  Just be mindful to follow the instructions explicitly, if in doubt stop and don't flash the BIOS.

Q-6 
    Again thanks for the help so far.
    This laptop should definitely perform better I hope you can agree with me on that? :P

Things I did already:

-Install lastest driver
    -Install original drivers
    -Try out diffirent drivers for GPU
    -Try out diffirent settings in game
    -Undervolting CPU
    -Check all energy related settings
    -Check settings in NVIDIA configuration panel
    -Update BIOS to 1.13
    -Check the FAQ in this forum for thing I might have missed

After all this:

-Full format/Fresh install (This laptop is 2 days old)

This laptop's settings is a bit better then the recommended setup for BF1 so I really don't know anymore.
    The weird thing is, i've also done allot of benchmarking and on the benchmarking it's on par with other systems with thesame internals.
    Then I thought maybe it's because I only have 8GB of RAM on this one, but then again even if my  ingame settings are on low the fps is still dropping to 40.

Thing's I've learned so far:
    -Undervolting can actually be quite usefull.
    -This laptop is slowly making me lose my mind in the way that I'm almost started to think, maybe it should perform like this? but that can't be right?

• Queen6
    edited May 2018
    Did read that BF1 recommends RAM is 16GB, with 8GB being a minimum, might just be part of the problem...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WABsYtn4U1U
    This YT video tends to reinforce the same, lower FPS with 8GB

Q-6